free website stats program clicking sounds?? | Harley Davidson Forums

clicking sounds??

this is more of a test thread than anything, but while im at it i thought i'd ask the question...." at higher speeds i get a 'clicking' sound on my 02 RKC. the only way i can describe it, is that is sounds like the playing cards we put in the spokes of our bikes as kids. its not as loud of course but it is there and it bothers me... its distracting because it makes me wonder what it is, where its coming from, etc and im not as focused on the road as i should be.

i think it could be a hose or a cable thats just vibrating against something else and its not a mechanical issue that im afraid of. its just bugs the heck out of me.

i want to tighten or create some cushion for whatever is causing the sound. see to notice if more once i re-attached the windsheild, but the quick release levers are not the problem ( i thought they were).

anyway, any body got a hint?

fuel door loose? ive seen some and mine had to shim the hinge springs. wild guess. does it speed up as you do? welcome to the forums.

Welcome to the forum. Great thought provoking first post!! I know at speed it can be difficult to determine where a sound is coming from and to describe it can be almost impossible. Can you tell us about what speed it starts? Does it increase and decrease with the speed of the bike?

it starts on the highway maybe at or around 45-50 mph and youre right, at high speeds it is VERY hard to determine where sounds come from... once i reach a certain speed cruising it stops... but when i accelerate it begins again and persists until i hit a cruising speed again.... its just a fast clicking... i thought it was the quick detach levers, that seemed like a good place to start but i held both of them at cruising speeds (thanks to cruise control!) and still heard the sound... if i wasnt such a stickler for sounds, it wouldnt bother me, but i am so it does...

milkshake for the suggestion that clears this up!

thanks for the welocme, too. no, fuel door is on tight. wish i knew where it comes from... loong ride tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I hate to ride without a windshield, but have you tried taking it off to see if the noise is still there?

Took out a friends' HD Sportster and found buzzing noise from of all things the gas cap and the horn bracket Friend did not realize where noise was coming from..."--they all do it..."!!!:small3d007:

Actually I would do preventative maintenance first...motor mounts, exhaust system fasteners and such..thing only takes time and patience...! Do you have a 3/8" torque wrench (sears is a good source), and service manual (torque specs and critical fastener list) can be found there or in Self Help tab section near top of the page.:57:

im going to check all these suggestions today. left side right side?? cant tell... will inspect, again all areas reccommended.. also dropping off for oil change today before a ride and will ask the guy at hd service. its a minor 'fix' and if i resolve it today it'd be great before my ride. will check all areas suggested and get back to the tthread later in the day with an update.:bigsmiley11:

I know this is going to sound crazy but I had the same thing. It ended up being my pants leg flapping! I couldnt believe it. I reached down and pulled it tight and it stopped.
Hope this helps.

Back