free website stats program Clear Diagnostic Code | Harley Davidson Forums

Clear Diagnostic Code

bikerdad

I have a 1999 RKC with fuel injection and I have a diagnostic code of 56. According to my manual it indicates a problem with the cam position sensor. This happened once before and the dealer cleared the code and told me there was no problem. They said that sometimes during starting if the engine coughs and doesn’t start right away, this can happen but is just a nuisance fault.

Well last night was cold here and the engine started roughly and now I have the code again. The bike runs fine and I would rather not have to pay the dealer to clear the code.

Does anyone know how to do it? Or, is some special tool required?

Thanks in advance for everyone help.

I am still looking for a quick sure shot way to clear Magnetti Morelli codes but know of none. Other than the 50 clean ignition key cycles, I believe a dealer tool is needed to quickly erase a code. On later models it is easy for the bike owner to do him/her self but on your year model I know of none..

This was posted a few weeks back by a member but have no clue if it works. Give it a try. Post if successful or not:

Key ON, Key OFF, Key ON, hit left turn signal 2 times wait for 2 flashes,,, hit right turn switch ONCE =>One Flash. Hit Right switch once =>2 flashes, Hit right turn switch once again =>3 flashes. Hit Left turn switch once than read codes to clear Hit left switch & hold for confirmation 2 flashes (hold at least 5 seconds).

I am still looking for a quick sure shot way to clear Magnetti Morelli codes but know of none. Other than the 50 clean ignition key cycles, I believe a dealer tool is needed to quickly erase a code. On later models it is easy for the bike owner to do him/her self but on your year model I know of none..

This was posted a few weeks back by a member but have no clue if it works. Give it a try. Post if successful or not:

Key ON, Key OFF, Key ON, hit left turn signal 2 times wait for 2 flashes,,, hit right turn switch ONCE =>One Flash. Hit Right switch once =>2 flashes, Hit right turn switch once again =>3 flashes. Hit Left turn switch once than read codes to clear Hit left switch & hold for confirmation 2 flashes (hold at least 5 seconds).

Wow, it sounds like I probably need to stand on one leg and jump up and down while I do it but I will try it and let you know.

Wow, it sounds like I probably need to stand on one leg and jump up and down while I do it but I will try it and let you know.

No luck! Maybe I was standing on the wrong leg? I guess I will just wait for the 50 starts unless someone has another idea.

The Dealer has a Scanalizer for clearing the codes, dont think it is available to us , may try Kent Moore tools they make it for The MOCO, this tool is also used for up loading the cartridge for the computer when you make exhaust and ac changes

No luck! Maybe I was standing on the wrong leg? I guess I will just wait for the 50 starts unless someone has another idea.

Correction! Try this. It is HOT off the press....To Clear Magnetti Morelli codes yourself.

Steps:
Disarm alarm if so equipped.
Run/Off switch to OFF
Ignition Key: ON,OFF,ON,OFF,ON (and leave ON)

Press LEFT turn signal switch TWICE. Wait for 1 or 2 flashes..(either 1 or 2 is OK)

Press RIGHT turn signal switch ONCE => turn signal will flash 1 time

Press RIGHT turn signal switch ONCE => turn signal flashes 2 times

Press RIGHT turn Signal switch ONCE => turn signals flash 3 times

Press LEFT turn signal switch ONCE. TROUBLE CODES WILL NOW BE DISPLAYED (stream)

TO CLEAR ANY CODES,,,=> PRESS & HOLD LEFT signal switch for 5 seconds. => turn
signal will now flash twice to confirm memory is clear.

Turn ignition OFF.

Follow these steps & let us know what happens.. Good Luck!

If it works, we need to post it in self help section. Which brings up the question, How do items get posted in self help? Do we ask a moderator to review it and add it?

Back