free website stats program cleaning | Harley Davidson Forums

cleaning

There are lots of Great products to choose from but I have made aluminum look like chrome using "Semi-Chrome" or Fritz Polish (Flitz )

On my last bike, which had aluminum wheels, I used Flitz. After 2 years the wheels were routinely thought to be chrome.

You may find that the covers have a clear coat on them and you will have to remove the clear coat to get at the metal
i used a gel paint stripper made the clear bubble up scraped it off with a plastic scraper then polished

Brian

After determining if there's not clear coat. I like to use Busch's Aluminum polish $18 a pint, available at most truck stops. Bush's is a liquid, and works very fast at cutting through the dull. It does not leave as great a final shine as Wenol/Simichrome/Flitz or Mothers mag polish, but it's close.
Quick way to test for clear coat, is gently use most any polish on a small area. If your rag stays clean, it's coated, if the rag turns black quickly, it's not coated.

Last edited:
can someone tell me what i can use to bring out the shine on the alumin
side covers It is really dull

Brian's right about the clear coat, if it's dull you will have to deal with it first. Otherwise I've had good luck on dull stuff with 4 or 5 applications of AutoSol followed by 2 final applications of NuFinish Auto Polish. Good luck finding AutoSol local though. Most shops don't carry it because it's a bit more expensive and it don't move off the shelf as well. You can find it online.

Keep rubbing the stuff into the aluminum even after it turns black for awhile. Then buff it off with another rag. If the clear coat is gone, a high speed drill buff will speed things up. If the clear coat is there the high speed only seems to make it worse for me.

For really bad areas you can rub some white bar polish on with a rag (from one of the various polish kits). Again the clear coat will have to be out of the way for this to do any good.

If you do strip off the clear regular polishing will be required once polished you can then cover with wax to seal the metal or it will corrode

Brian

Semi-chrome works very well as Hoople stated, it will take a little elbow grease to really bring out the shine. A power ball on your drill will help save your arms from a lot of fatigue.

Another vote for Simichrome. You can get it at J & P Cycles.

You can also get a goot result using "Classic Cloth". I got mine at teh local Victory dealer.

Either product, used consistently, will polish aluminum up like chrome, aand will look better, the more you use it.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back