free website stats program Cleaning up a rear fender | Harley Davidson Forums

Cleaning up a rear fender

saintNH

I went to take the passenger seat off of my fatboy and found there was a black stain on the paint where it rubs and also what looks to be a protective sticker between the seat and fender. Any recommendations for removing the black stain without hurting the paint, and what about the sticker? I do plan on putting the passenger seat on occasionally. Will it hurt anything if its not there?

Took the plastic off mine w/heat gun , not sure what the black stain is, try a little alcohol or paint thinner on damp rag. Note: NOT laquer thinner.

SaintNH, if possible try to save unviewed portion of that clear plastic shield to protect the fender from rubbing if you put on any accessory that could rub when bike is running or ladened.

The key here is to make sure if you mount accessory that could come in contact with the paint, you need to shield it from abrasion, otherwise damaged paint will result. The black stain means the seat was improperly fitted.

so is that plastic reusable? and what would be the best to take the stain from the leather off?

So I lied......Under further inspection, the black staining is on only the plastic shield. I should be able to remove it with heat and wipe it down and be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good deal, I thought that sounded more like it...my Sporty has the clear vinyl shield and shows a bit of black where seat is contacting it. I put a thick adhesive grommet to the frame support to lift seat by 1/8" and no more evidence of rubbing once I cleaned the black off.

Suggest you do similar, if you are thinking of using the seat later on...just in case. Again, get a new adhesive vinyl protector, but trimmed to fit so if you switch your "covered".

I removed the passenger seat last night and took a heat gun to the plastic shield and it came right off. I plan on leaving the passneger seat off except for a few times a year when my wife rides along. I am not using a different seat, still the stock seat, just removed the passenger seat. so there wont be any trimming to do but Im thinking if I can find a black moleskin or something similar I can put it on the bottom of the passenger seat so I wont need to stick on and remove a plastic shield every time. anyone done something like that? and NEWHD74FAN, please tell me more about the grommet idea. are you putting it under the rear seat screw when you put it on?

On my Kat, the seat "floats" above the fender, the grab rail/rear frame provides support, rubber pads are bonded to the seat, so it rests on the frame when hooked on the front under tank horn and the fastening system chosen by the manufacturer.

On my Sporty I looked for a flat surface that I could mount heavy 1" thick rubber grommet pads (they look like automotive shock tower rubbers) and just glued them to the underside of the seat, at strategic locations to support on the frame, and on the index pin centered up front. It spaces the seat up ever so slightly, and the seat pan was just stiff enough not to allow contact with the fender. Improvisation is the mainstay for invention...

Back