free website stats program Cleaning the wheels? | Harley Davidson Forums

Cleaning the wheels?

Wayne R

I have wheels from my 2002 Road King the aluminum is slightly pitted as I think seems to be standard for these wheels, I want to clean them up and sell them I was planning on sanding them with a 600 grit sandpaper and clear coating them was curious to know if anybody thinks this is a bad idea and why, would like to make them look a little better.

I sand the corrosion and scratches off when I change tires. Years ago I used some clear spray but it didn’t take long before it looked dull and started to yellow. Good luck with it - Bob

I wouldn't spend a lot of time cleaning them if you are selling them. I bought a set of wheels and tires on eBay for less then $150. The front tire had about 10000 miles of tread and the rear was just about finished. Don't expect big money for them, of course that is only my opinion.
kemo

As Kemo suggested.Dont waste your time making them perfect.The time and materials required to reclear them, will be lost on the sale.Sure clean them up a bit but they are worthe what there worthe.

I think you'd be throwing $200 at an extra $100 return on perfect rims.

Agree w/others - don't waste too much time on them. Especially if you're selling the bike. I bought some wheel cleaner @ Target for $5 & it shined mine up nicely, but my SG only has 500-miles on tires b/c of our bad winter (no riding).:newsmile08:

Good luck w/the sale - riding season's coming so I'm sure there'll be interested buyers.

Well according to your post status you're "warming the wheels" so now you might as well be "cleaning the wheels". LOLOL!!
Sorry just couldn't resist..
Maybe that's a new post status. Guess it's better than "cleaning the bathrooms"> :laugh

Agree with the others, warming the wheels sanding and polishing only to sell is kinda like throwing the baby out with the bath water. If I went to the trouble to clean them up with sandpaper, polish and reclearcoat...I would keep 'em, because I know what a good job my moral compass would drive me towards perfection. Can't recover a labor of love in cash...as the buyer never appreciates the hidden work.

Last edited:
Warming the wheels ! pretty funny! Thanks for the replies I think I agree with everyone here , Ill just clean them with a little polish and try to sell them, that will be tomorrows project im in south jersey and just got finished shoveling at least 12 inches or more of snow off my driveway and it hasnt stopped snowing yet, Time for a cocktail!

HD Wheel Cleaner and a soft scotch brite pad softly to remove the grime - I leave mine with a satin finish just like new - Oh and a likkle polish.

Back