free website stats program Cleaning my pipes! | Harley Davidson Forums

Cleaning my pipes!

harley13

Bought my new (used) lowrider in Dec. I live in chicago and had to wear my snowmoblile suit since it was 20 degrees outside to get it home. While sitting on the bike waiting for it to warm up, I got that burning flesh smell! no it was'nt me, it was the down feathers and nylon burning on my screamn eagle pipes! I was told I can never get burnt nylon off the pipes. Is that true? any tricks to clean my pipes?

Wow! Rode it home in 20 degrees! I guess I whimped out, I bought mine in winter and trailered it home.

I got that nylon micro fiber cloth on my hot exhaust, it left some nasty black stains, easy off and every other cleaner under the kitchen sink wouldn't touch it, I finally had success with those magic erasers made by Mr. Clean. Others have told me to just leave it and it will burn off over time. Good luck with that.

I use Goof-Off. Melted a flag once on a PGR mission. Also my wife tends to melt her boot soles once in a while. Heat them up, rub it off with a rag. Smells kind of bad, but works great. Suggest you use leather gloves, unless you really want to burn off your fingerprints.

STEVE07's got you covered...sounds crazy, but you gotta re-heat the melted-on area to soften (again) & scrape away (gently) w/knife. Recommend you put some type of shielding material behind the pipe(s) to protect from oven cleaner overspray (cardboard) & I use HS's chrome polish last to finish-off the shine. Always works for me...good luck!

Like Steve said using a butter knife or even the edge of a nickle ($.05). I heard a nickle is softer than the chrome so it helps, but you can still scratch it so be careful.

Ride safe and have fun.

Here is something I found that works wonders. If you ever had to spit shine boots you kow how to use this. Just a dab on t-shirt material, and rub. I have melted the soles of my redwings on my pipes and this stuff takes it off no problems. It is called MAAS and is found in the cleaning products part of stores and costs about $3.00 per tube. I also use it to take off blueing from pipes. Hopefully by posting this here it will not go up to $12.00 per tube.

Attachments

• IMG_2616.jpg
    IMG_2616.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 23
0000 steel wool. It will not scratch or have any affect on chrome or glass. Get some "Testors" model paint thinner, wet it and buff the area with the 0000 steel wool and it's like new again. Do not use 0000 on painted surfaces.:coffee

Back