free website stats program Clean chrome with Super Fine Steel Wool | Harley Davidson Forums

Clean chrome with Super Fine Steel Wool

atm33

Just a tip that has served me well over the years. Use super fine steel wool (grade 0000) to clean chrome. It takes off bugs, water spots, light rust, and just about everything else you can imagine from any chromed surface (bars, pipes, engine, etc). Use it dry, not wet. Doesn't scratch the chrome at all and looks spotless. Make sure you have the superfine size though. Just don't use it on un-chromed aluminum parts. It will scuff polished or brushed aluminum. So head to the shop and give it a try!

If you use this with Chrome polish and go slow you can clean aluminum parts like lower legs:s

Old school, we used to polish with ATF and steel wool with very good results:s

LOL, I bet! My pipes have these little "bubbles" in the chrome right where the pipes bend. I am unsure if its the chrome itself or something else, but maybe the steel wool will help. I'll give it a try though...

Those bubbles may be the chrome coming lose from the steel and using the steel wool may make it flake off. Just a thought.

Those bubbles may be the chrome coming lose from the steel and using the steel wool may make it flake off. Just a thought.

See but they aren't like bubbles per say. It almost looks like grains of sand got stuck underneath the chrome. Hard to explain really. I'm hoping its just shiny road grime or something. Either way its not that big a deal. it's hardly noticeable unless you are looking right at it, which I only see it when polishing the exhaust

Back