free website stats program Clanking noise in engine | Harley Davidson Forums

Clanking noise in engine

spyder124g

I have a 2003 Road King with 22500 miles. Recently it has been making a loud clanking noise on the primary area. I can hear it towards the front of the primary. I checked the primary chain and is in good conditions. I have no problems with throtle power or shifting issues. Anyone have anything on this?
Thanks

You say you checked the chain.....did you check to make sure the compensating sproket nut is tight?

I have a 2003 Road King with 22500 miles. Recently it has been making a loud clanking noise on the primary area. I can hear it towards the front of the primary. I checked the primary chain and is in good conditions. I have no problems with throtle power or shifting issues. Anyone have anything on this?
Thanks

Do NOT run the engine until you check to make sure that the compensator nut is tight, and has not backed off some. This will allow the rotor to wallow around and will eventually lead to failure as the rotor jams on the stator and the drive shaft shears out all the dogs in the rotor mounting hole.

If the compensator nut is not tight, then I suggest dissassembling the Primary, removing the clutch basket, compensator and chain so you can inspect all the components to make sure they are all OK. Remember that the nut on the clutch basket is reverse thread. Then remove the rotor to make sure all the magnets are in place where they should be, and that the stator looks OK (none of the coils "burnt").

REMEMBER - do NOT use an impact gun to remove the compensator nut or clutch basket nut.

TQ

Thanks for the info I'll try it and will post results.

Hello all,
want thank all of you all tha posted solutions to my problem. Just to report the end result to the clanking sound, yes indeed it was compensator nut. A mechanic I had sent it to replaced the stator and told me that it was missing a spacer between the stator cover and the metal spacer holding the stator. Well, after having a washer placed in there after a few rides the vibration finally caused the washer to give in thus creating a space between the metal spacer thus causing he ocmpensator nut to loosen up. Glad it was nothing major. Thanks to all that posted suggestions, really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this post Spyder and TQ. I've worried and wondered what this could be... my '01 FLHRi sounds like she is doing the same exact thing. Recently changed to HD Syn 3 with a new mechanic and looks like I'm taking her to the dealer in a couple days to get this resolved.

Thanks again.

Back