free website stats program circuit breaker? | Harley Davidson Forums

circuit breaker?

eviltwin

My 2000 Fat Boy won't start! The new battery is charged and the cables are tight. Upon initial turn over the circuit breaker clicks and everything goes dead, no lights, ignition or anything else electrical. After replacing the circuit breaker everything looks good but when I hit the start button the breaker clicks and I'm back to square one.

First welcome to the forum! Now you reset the breaker or replaced it?

No way to reset the breaker. It resets by itself when it cools off.

Remove your battery cables from the battery and clean them up then reinstall them.

Neg off first and on last.

If this doesn't do it, you have a short in the wiring that is opening the breaker.

Do you bet a crank out of the motor, then it goes dead?

Something is shorting to blow the breaker. Since it is only happening when you hit the start button you would have to guess that the starter circuit is going to ground. Follow the wires and look for bare spots. Could be the starter motor/solenoid. This link is for cars but the principal for checking applies Bench Testing a Starter Motor

I've tried to push start a couple of Harleys but with no success (too much effort!).

Otherwise a visit to an auto electrician...

No way to reset the breaker. It resets by itself when it cools off.

Remove your battery cables from the battery and clean them up then reinstall them.

Neg off first and on last.

If this doesn't do it, you have a short in the wiring that is opening the breaker.

Do you bet a crank out of the motor, then it goes dead?

First, the old breaker never cooled down or reset itself, I purchased another breaker and everything went dead after about a quarter of a crank.

First, the old breaker never cooled down or reset itself, I purchased another breaker and everything went dead after about a quarter of a crank.

What have you done to the bike recently, any switch housing replacements or the like? It only opens the breaker when you hit the start button or as soon as the key is on?

Unlees I am missing something sound to me like you have a short in the starter.
The breaker never was the problem I would pull starter and have it tested

A short in the starter itself wouldn't open the breaker. The starter power comes from the positive cable. Only the crank circuit like the solenoid and relay with the associated wiring to the bars would effect the breaker.

<snip>A short in the starter itself wouldn't open the breaker. The starter power comes from the positive cable. Only the crank circuit like the solenoid and relay with the associated wiring to the bars would effect the breaker.
Ah, so true. Thinking about it, my old FXR got water in the starter switch and started to do odd things. A pull apart and clean up fixed it.

Unpulg the starter relay then hit the start switch if it does the same thing then you know its up front if it dodn,t trip the relay jump the starter down below if it starts try a new relay there cheap,jel

I had this same problem with my 2002 sportster 2 days ago. Read these posts, replaced my starter relay, replaced my circuit breaker with a 40 amp and now back to normal functioning. THANKD FOR THE HELP

Back