free website stats program Cigarette Lighter | Harley Davidson Forums

Cigarette Lighter

Scrounger

Had a question for the forum. We just picked up our shiny new Limited and while looking over the manual I noticed the following.

"Do not use cigarette lighter socket to power electrical devices. Automotive electrical plugs can damage the socket, which can result in improper lighter operation and overheating that could cause equipment damages"

I've renter several Ultras and always plugged the heated gear into the cigarette socket.

Have anyone had a plug fail from using a radar detector of GPS in this plug?

Regards,

Matthew

If I had a cigarette lighter socket on my bike I would be comfortable plugging in loads of less than 4 amps into them. From the schematics it does appear that the cigarette lighter fuse supports other items so the max load is really undefined. I would say under 4 amps would be fine. That would cover you for all GPS, radar detectors etc :p

I read that in my manual too, most accessories will not pull as many amps as the lighter itself does :newsmile011:

I use mine to charge my cell phone on longer trips. Used it once to power my air compressor when the battery charging connection positive lead broke the ring off. Never used it for heated clothing, but as long as it is rated for 15 amps, should be good.

I power my Hog Tunes amp, radar detector, Sirius receiver, all wired under the fairing to the cigarette lighter circuit using spade connectors. I also use the lighter itself, never had a problem.

The only problem I've had was when my GPS wasn't making contact in the CIGAR lighter, I twisted the plug and shorted it out. Blew the fuse. GPS is now hard wired.

I wonder what it is rated at.

Matthew, there IS a diffence between a Cigarette Lighter outlet (it has a ceramic high temperature insulator, so when the cigarette lighter glows red hot, it does not "cook" the shell housing insulator. An Accessory outlet is made with of "bakelite/phenolic/fiberglass" low temperature insulator that will literally catch fire IF you use it with Cigarette Lighter. If you use it for lower power accessories, you should be fine with either type...just make sure you have proper fuse protection. :s

There is a schematic for your year/model bike, and rule of thumb is never exceed 50% to 75% of the rated value of the inline fuse peak. Heated clothing and other high current devices have to be checked from max rating and probably be a good idea to check and clean all the electrical connections to be sure. As Chopper says 15A is the rating of the inline fuse, on my Sporty it is the same value in the ACC position at the fuse block, I would not run anything much over 7.5A to not stress the wiring up to and including the Acc outlet. :D

Back