free website stats program Cigarette Lighter/Power Supply | Harley Davidson Forums

Cigarette Lighter/Power Supply

garja49

Anyone have any experience adding a Cigarette lighter to a Dyna? I don't smoke but would like to add a power supply for a GPS.

Anyone have any experience adding a Cigarette lighter to a Dyna? I don't smoke but would like to add a power supply for a GPS.

Yes, HD makes accessory receptacle with the proper mating Deutsch connector that wires right in to the HD harness $18.95 at your dealer. If you locate the accessory plug on your Dyna, you can order up pins, crimp, poke and plug and your done. Do check with your service manual for schematic and color code for clean plug and play installation and identify the accessory plug under the seat near your battery (not the Diagnostic plug with looks similar). :D

On my Sporty (probably like your Dyna), since I did not find a plug nearby and being in Electronics, I made a wiring harness that plugs into my Battery tender pigtail, wired to the HD accessory plug. Just remember to check the polarity with your DMM ($1.99 at Harbor Freight if you do not have one). Eklipps also makes an accessory outlet that works great, and is made to wire across the your battery for $19.99. :s

There should be 1 spare connector under your seat. If not you can add more by splitting one of the ones under there.

Splitter.
Accadapterkit.jpg

Spare harness.
adapter.jpg

I bought a power port at an auto parts store. This one had a cable already attached.
PLUG.jpg

I hard wired my gps into the harness and the power port (cig lighter) is for my cellphone charger.

I also added a ground pigtail as the harness is positive (hot) connectors only.
I wired the ground directly to the engines battery ground bolt.
pigtail.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input. My only other concern is where to mount the receptacle. I’d like to tuck it away somewhere that it would not look funky. Maybe hard wiring the GPS might be the best way to go, but then limits my ability to charge a phone or IPOD.

LOL… Hoople… not bored just trying to get a few things done I’ve wanted to do.

Thanks everyone for your input. My only other concern is where to mount the receptacle. I’d like to tuck it away somewhere that it would not look funky. Maybe hard wiring the GPS might be the best way to go, but then limits my ability to charge a phone or IPOD.

LOL… Hoople… not bored just trying to get a few things done I’ve wanted to do.

Hard wire is clean with the appropriate connectors. BTW my Tom-Tom GPS uses a Micro USB input power & interface connector...so you "could" get the proper large to small USB connector connection with a proper adapter plug as "technically" the USB power connection is universal and very easy to "tuck" away verses the cigar/accessory connector approach. As for mounting, Kuryakyn, RAM and others make nice handlebar mounts.

The cigar receptacle has a ceramic insulator to withstand the high heat, whilst an accessory receptacle uses Bakelite, phenolic or fiberglass insulator...DO NOT USE these for you Popout Cigar Lighter...a fire could result!!!

I just ran mine right from the bat with a fusible link in the gps wire so if i had to change it i would not have to tear the bike apart. I did not use a lighter i went with a better connector just because i thought that a lighter plug would be shaking lose with the wind and such.

Back