free website stats program Chroming my stock electra glide wheels | Harley Davidson Forums

Chroming my stock electra glide wheels

Hey guys,
I have a 05 electra glide and really want to upgrade my wheel and tire package, however the funding is currently unavailable:( In the meantime ive been thinking the stock "wagon wheels" may look pretty good chromed! Anyone out there have there wheels chromed and can recomend a place here in FL?
Thanks!

I owned a 97 Tour Classic with chromed stock wheels. They looked as good when I traded the bike several months ago as the did when I bought the bike 10 years ago.

I don't know where they were chromed or how much was paid,

You mean the aluminum 9 spoke wheels, can you chrome aluminum?

Many chrome pieces on Harleys are aluminum, case covers, rocker boxes, etc. It requires an initial coat of copper, then nickel, then chrome. That is the reason you hear "triple chrome plated" so often. It's a 3 step process, not 3 coats of chrome.
I have seen chrome 9 spoke wheels and think they look nice. Especially since you can't really see much of the wheel on a dual disc. 16" wheel.

Last edited:
what i have done....
find a local chromer, get price and time turn around, take'm off, strip'm down, punch the bearings out and send'm out.
send in the rotors and have'm flash chromed.
POLISH the stock brake calipers. order a re-seal kit. take'm down send'm in at the same time.
i've done this on 3 project bikes all turned out nice with minor expense.
on re-asembly die grind surfaces where surfaces under torq meet. the chrome is little more than metal paint. it will crack when tightened unevenly.
especially on the brake calipers..
about +-500 each project
explore powder coating the wheels it's a more durable finish imo. chrome will nick and pit on the wheels over time. tinkerin is cool......

Back