free website stats program Chrome Tour-Pak Hinge Kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome Tour-Pak Hinge Kit

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Just got around to installing the premium, chrome, tour pak hinges. HD Part Number 79211-08. Instructions were very clear and covered everything. Job took an hour and a half including pictures and clean up. Also I did it totally by myself. It would go much quicker with a helper.End result is a MUCH better looking tour pak, with hinges like they should put on them right from the factory.

BEFORE:
hingeonebefore.jpg

hingetwobefore.jpg

AFTER:
hingeoneafter.jpg

hingetwoafter.jpg

Pictures were taken quickly - sorry about the glare but you should get the idea.

I agree with you Doc,100% better then the stock hinges:D

How about some details on the install or is this caveman stuff?

It was pretty much a caveman level project. Like I said, instructions were very good for a change. A helper to hold things steady while you tighten the screws would speed things up but is not absolutely necessary.

Two tips I can think of:

1. Instructions say to drill out the old hinge rivets with a 3/16 inch drill bit. I decided to start smaller and work up to that size bit if needed. Got the rivets out with a 1/8 inch bit just fine. Only later did I discover that the new screws (16 of them total) wouldn't fit through the 1/8 inch hole that remained behind so I had to go back and redrill the holes with the 3/16 inch bit anyway. Save yourself some time and use the 3/16 inch bit right from the start.

2. I used one of the old hinges to compress the tour pak lid gasket while drilling out the rivets hiding behind this gasket. Still managed to slightly crease the gasket with the drill but nothing major. This is where an extra set of hands would also have been really nice.

Oh, and be careful after the rivets and backing plates pop off - those dudes are HOT from the drilling!

If you take a piece of good ductape, and hold the gasket back with the ductape, it will be out of the way and you can drill the old rivits out with out hitting the gasket.
Make sure you've got a good sharp 3/16ths bit...drill the heads off all the rivits, push them out, then run the bit thru the tour pak.

If you take a piece of good ductape, and hold the gasket back with the ductape, it will be out of the way and you can drill the old rivits out with out hitting the gasket.

Thanks, where were you yesterday when I needed you? :p

This is a test. ....this is ONLY a test. .....had this been an actual installation, you would be given complete instructions on where to find information critical to your particular situation! :s :D

Back