free website stats program Chrome Switch Housings/ Switchs | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome Switch Housings/ Switchs

Bud White

Retired Moderators
Not the greatest of pics trying to take picks of chrome on chrome up close dont work well ..

Somethings let me tell ya the guy who puts these together at HD dont get paid enough course hes probably at a bench and im standing next to it in a garage but its TIGHT..

Heres how ya start Blah

100_0708-1.jpg

Remove upper and lower screws

100_0709-1.jpg

Once ya split the housing and remove the screw holding bracket.. couldn' get a pic of screw in the upper housing to come out .. got 20 blured pics

100_0696-1.jpg

Remove switch caps this is what ya get

100_0703-1.jpg

Cruise and radio plugs pull off with tool in next pic

100_0698-1.jpg

the switches and housings come with the tool

This is lower bracket holding in cruise switch

100_0722-1.jpg

100_0721-1.jpg

then you reinstall the turn switch and brake light switch

100_0724-1.jpg

dont forget the copper bent piece that holds the switch tight ..can ya see the 3 screws holding everything in and the zip tie what a treat

100_0726-1.jpg

100_0727-1.jpg

On thing i didn't use that came in the chrome switch kit are the screws to short by the time i had compressed the housings back to the bars i could barely grab threads .. so ill pass on using these went with originals.. funny the kit HD sells as chrome replacement screws are different and longer than the ones in the switch kit

100_0719-1.jpg

Also you do have to remove the clutch and the master cylinder on other side to get the housing far enough apart..

I took probably 100 pics trying to document it but 3.4ths didnt come out to much shine..

also something i was disturbed with at first were the gaps on the switches and housing then are large .. so i got the factory housing and switch and see its the same you just cant tell cause they are black ya cant see gaps unless you really look .. so basically the handle bar switch's are not sealed at all

Another thing i did was install a pushbutton on the started that you can also start up with again pics didn't come out well

the screws in the kit also didnt work wrong pitch so i reused original one .. different pushing in the button on starter to fire up bike ..

100_0728-1.jpg

100_0730-1.jpg

Give yourself at least 1 - 1 1/2 on the switch and housings and a few breaks and some why did i do this time ..

the push button on starter 20 mins tops

Last edited:
Bud,

Good job explaining the task.....I think I'll pay the $84 flat rate for that job. Heck, handlebars alone (with internal routing) took me 15 hours. Glad it worked out and turned out well.

Bud, looking good, those chrome switch housings work great. I left the stock black buttons on, because I liked the contrast, BUT the logos are starting to wear out, so I may have to opt for the chrome button tops as well.

As for the starter button, I saw a Sporty the other day with a mechanical knob in flat black, but having a problem finding one to fit my Sporty, (the housing shape looks slightly different, and is rotated, where it is a long reach w/ plumbing in the way, BUT I am looking into that too.

Back