free website stats program chrome sliders | Harley Davidson Forums

chrome sliders

2000classic

I am looking at installing the chrome sliders on my 2000 ultra. Looks to me to be pretty simple. Slide old ones off the bottom, slide new ones on. Only thing that looks like it would give me grieve is getting the new oil seals tapped down into the top of the new slider. I don't want to dismantle entire front end for this job. Not worth that much trouble. Any suggestions on getting the seal in there?

If you don't have a seal driver and you're doing it on the bike, you can use a piece of PVC pipe that has an inside diameter the same as your fork tube and split it lengthwise to drive the seal in. You have to thin the end a bit that contacts the seal.

As I want to make sure I don't nick the fork tube where the seal rides, my thought was to make the pvc a couple of inches longer than the cow bell, slide both halves up there and hose clamp together. Slide the seal up, bring up the slider and with piece of wood under it, gently tap it into place on the seal. Sound like a plan, or would you do something differently?

I would remove the legs myself, it isn't that much more work but it's easier to do it then.

Sometimes short cuts aren't shorter in the long run, but is sounds like your plan should work.

If it were me i would remove the forks and do it that way, and as i did i would put the chrome covers (cowbells) as well. Makes it look a lot better. If not removing the forks i use and old seal installer i cut in half and shortened, tends to do the trick to get the washers and seals in place, then just "fast fill" the fluid.

Thanks much for the input. I think I'll try the pvc idea and if it does not work as I hope, I can resort to complete removal if need be. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

I tried the pvc thing and it worked out very well. Popped the seals in just fine. Good thing I made the little pvc tool, as bike looks soo much better, two buddies want me to do theirs also.

Back