free website stats program Chopper Wiring | Harley Davidson Forums

Chopper Wiring

HaydenT

Need help with wiring for my EVO with electronic cam sensor OEM# 32448-95A. The EVO is a brand new HD crate motor so I'm not completely familiar with it yet but learning.

Question is, do I have to use an ECM with this set up or can I run the cam sensor wiring straight to the coil? The guys at the HD dealership say I can and without the VOES. Some of that makes sense to me, some doesn't. If anyone has done chopper wiring on a modern EVO, I'd appreciate any advice/help.

do I have to use an ECM with this set up or can I run the cam sensor wiring straight to the coil?

I am sure you need an Ignition control module (ICM). No solid state cam sensor switch I know of can swing 7 amps of current. Besides, even if you could, where would you get the spark advance curve you need. Here is a copy of a 1998 EVO ignition system that may help.

Attachments

• EVO-Ignition.pdf
    225.4 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for the wiring diagram Hoople, I didn't have the simplified version.

I think that there is an after market sensor out there that has a fourth lead from the battery that will give enough current and voltage to the coil to induce ignition spark. I dug around more and found one someone mentioned on here by Stryke. I'm sure that Dyna, or Crane, or someone else makes them too.

Sinse I'm going with old school chopper wiring I may just pull the electronic ignition and replace with points

If you go back a few years on your model you can find the early electronic version for late Shovelheads and early Evo set-ups. These didn't need any extra controls on them they just replaced the points system. A quick bolt in process. The advance issue was a centrifical weight system that was already in the cam case. You will need the spark advance to acheive optimal performance from your bike. Good luck with your project.

After re-reading my previous post the I lost the spelling contest. The word is "centrifugal" not centrifical that's just how we say it. As to the weights in the cam case they are actually part of the points lobe assembly and are below the points plate they are held in place by a single bolt. So to install a points system your cam needs to have a threaded hole in the center of the end of the cam itself. It's not complicated but it is a pain.

When I built my EVO chopper, I used a DYNA-S ignition on it, this is the type of ignition that the draggin is talking about. Very simple set up.:D

When I built my EVO chopper, I used a DYNA-S ignition on it, this is the type of ignition that the draggin is talking about. Very simple set up.:D

There are many after market ignition systems to choose from 89 Stroker has given you 1, you may look at Crane, and you may like a Magneto set up also but be warned they are spendy JMO

Back