free website stats program choosing a cam? | Harley Davidson Forums

choosing a cam?

bio_research

Contributor
I am looking for a performance cam, but I have no clue what I'm looking for. I have a 2008 nightster. I am looking to improve the lower to mid range power. I like doing wheelies and beating sport bikes off the line :) What beands are better? Any ideas of specific cams/part numbers?

Thanks!

Hopefully one of the true engine guys will be a long. But you need to decide what you are expecting out of your engine. For the wrong decision will make bike run poorly. There is limited choices with a stock engine. After that you will need to properly coordinate the cam with engine, carb and exhaust mods for bike to run correctly.

What I did was to go ONLINE and find out. I went to S&S Site and ask their Technician for the Cam that best fits my bike and what I wanted it to do and he sent me all the info. that I needed. You can do this to any Cam site that you prefer. I just happen to like S&S Cams. Had them in my other bike and was pleased with the performance. Of course I had my bikes Dynoed afterwards. That makes whatever you do to the bike perform like it should with all the stuff you will be putting on the bike- Cam,Exhaust,Bigger AC,Tuner.:newsmile073:
Good luck............

GOOD Information Posted by Stubbs34...

Also try the SE book from HD... Harley does make some Good Hot parts for the bike you have. TOTAL build need to be considered... I'm a High Compression Guy on the sport bikes...

215-219 lbs is a good thing for my choices... Todays fuel is a problem but proper timing and IF fuel injected a bonus.

SnS, Crain, Wood, just a few.. Like said,,,, TOTAL build, piston, heads/valves, ignition/timing, make it work.

signed...BUBBIE

I have been looking online at some options... I would rather have a bolt on option right now. I don't feel like new valves or springs and lifters... I may have the heads ported and polished...

I have the Arlen Ness stage 2 air cleaner/intake, a Powercommander 2 tuner, heavy duty clutch, V&H slip ons w/o balasts, and I'm thinking about putting a 27 tooth front sprocket on to increase power off the line.

Back