free website stats program Choke cable | Harley Davidson Forums

Choke cable

mrtn681

I broke the plastic nut on my choke cable. I been looking at replaceing it but it looks like it's a pretty big deal.Do I need to take the carb off to do this or is there a trick to it? If so do I need to get gaskets when I get the cable?

You have to replace the cable. It may be easier to pull the carb off the mount and you can probably leave the cables attached to access the choke cable on the carb end. Removing the fuel line will help too.
It's an easy process once you visualize the hookup on the carb and then disconnect it from the carb. You thread the new cable through the bracket on the bike after removing the old one, install the locknut on the cable and hook up the carb end. Just make sure to only tighten the nut finger tight and only a tad more if the choke knob doesn't stay out when you pull it out on it's own.

The choke cable is held in place on the carb by a plastic nut and there is not a lot of spin space for an open end wrench you will only get one flat at a time
take note of the routing through between the cylinders as it will be over the inlet manifold and under the centre head steady and once in place not much room to adjust the final run of the cable
You will have to remove the wee plunger from the cab end of the cable simply compress the spring and the end of the cable can be manoeuvred out of place refit to the new cable

Brian

Well I put the cable on today.I did take the carb off & left the cables attached.It was fairly easy but it seems like these parts could have been made of brass and would last forever.

If they made parts so they wouldn't break, they wouldn't be selling many parts then :s

I think it's called planned obsolescence.:D

Back