free website stats program choice between 883 iron and 48 sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

choice between 883 iron and 48 sportster

serpentine

I am just about to pay money for buying a Harley and the choice for me is either the 48 or the iron 883 , i am 6 ft , 205 pounds and would want to use the bike mostly on weekends for hog trips out of town and maybe once in while for city rides.
i am confused which is a better buy:wall

serpentine; are you sold on these Sporty's...?? I agree they are sweet rides, but w/your size it might be better to look @ Dyna or Softail frames. Don't get me wrong - I'm looking at adding a Iron883 someday soon for day-tripper/economy. Depending on your riding experience & use - a tad bigger bike could be better fit...good luck w/your search.

Iceman has made a very good point. Listening to how you are wanting to ride the HD, the application you are looking at might be short lived. Usually Sporties are used for the exact opposite reason.
But between the two I would go with the 48 for the bigger front tire.

I am the same height as you but slightly larger. OK, 35 pounds larger!

I rode a 1200 Sporty for 9 months and couldn't stay on it for more than about 90 minutes without feeling cramped and needing to stop and walk around a bit. The engine was plenty big and powerful but the frame and its geometry just didn't feel right for someone of my size. Moved up to a Touring bike (FLHX) and never regretted it.

I'm not sure what a "hog trip" is but if you're planning on some long, overnight, weekend rides, I'd definitely look at a larger bike. Especially if there's any chance that you might have a passenger at any point.

If $$$ is an issue, then I'd look for a nice, used bike that fit my needs.

Welcome to the family! I am 5'9" or 5'10" (depending on which convienent store I'm leaving) and 165 lbs. and used to own a 1200 Sportster. I recently purchased a 2012 Heritage Softail Classic, and....I love it! It is much more comfortable on any length of ride for me. I would recommend you test ride or even better, rent the bike you think you want for a day, then make up your mind. It worked for me and I couldn't be happier!

Same as Dr. D...could run ~100 miles on my 05 XL1200C & it was time to get feeling back in my legs. Now the FLHX is night/day difference...2-wheeled barka lounger...love it! :D

Re: choice between 883 iron and 48 sportster - Dyna!

I'm a very new rider w/a new 2011 FXDC Dyna Super Glide. I'm 5'8" and 220 Lbs. On my only +100 mile trip I had absolutely no comfort issues at all. I only have about 220 miles on it in the approximately 3 weeks I've been riding. The only modifications I've made is a stock replacement K&N air filter - more of a preventative than performance upgrade. I'd love to get a 48 for around town, but I can't imagine riding it on extended trips.

Mark - Thanks!

The beast advice i could give is rent them both for a day and ride some long miles then decide, IMO with your size a Dyna would be a better choice better yet a Bagger if you can afford it. I rode a Sporster to Sturgis and back 1 time, it was enough, they are GREAT bikes but IMO not a good choice for Long hauls

i have the 883, i am 6'1 and 190lbs and I'm pretty comfortable on the bike. i am very new though i just bought the bike, i road out of state with it last week, and it was great! looking at 50 to the gallon, small gas tank but all in all i love the bike. but as always test out all the bikes, everyone is different.

Back