free website stats program Chicago trip | Harley Davidson Forums

Chicago trip

rcwheelman

Planned a trip to Chicago coming up in about 22 days from
New jersey. Going for my saddlesore 1000 certification also from Iron Butt.
Now I don't have a touring bike so I know this trip is going to be
Interesting to say the least.
My question is, how should I prepare myself and the bike for this trip?
I've already purchased a duel pouch tank bag for the bike. No saddle bags.
Mailing clothes to destination. Bought a full face helmet since the
Train has no shield. The total round trip mileage should be around 2000 miles within a
1 week period.

Thanks.

You didn't say whether you are using GPS? It is really handy when doing a IBA ride. I find that Interstates have fuel at good intervals, but I do most of my riding during the day. When I had a 5 gallon tank, I would try for 120-140 miles per tank, but you will likely get better milage. I hope you've read the 'Wisdom' tips on the IBA site. If not, do so. Good luck, and welcome to the insanity!
:D

No GPS accept for the one in my phone. Not much room for one on my night train. unless I mount one to the bars which would look really tacky I think.
I'll have to wait until I get a road king for that ;)

Yeah as far as mileage goes I have 700 miles on the bike now, think she's broken in. I'm getting 190 miles to a tank.

Read all the Wisdom tips on the IBA site twice ;)
Thanks, It will feel good when the trip is done and accomplished.

Just remeber to cut out as much caffine and alchohol as you can at least 3-4 days prior. It will help your body prepare.

oooo cutting out caffine? really? thats going to be rough 3 to 4 days before? wow that long at work with no coffee, people won't like me by friday lol

I don't drink so thats not a problem.
What about the day of the trip. can I drink caffine that morning? I'm leaving at 3am I will need coffee!

I just did a 1500 mile round trip in 4 days on a Haritage Springer. I loved every single minute, even in the rain! I found that having a small flashlight, zipp ties, rain suit (don't go cheap, mine ripped and some melted on the pipes!), small bag of the tools I use most when working on my bike, one quart of oil, SUN SCREEN!, chapstick, and a bottle of water where good to have. I stopped every 140 miles give or take just to make sure I had a chance to get off and walk around a bit to keep the blood flowing to my legs and butt. I also planned a route on mapquest because they have a gas station feature that let me plan where I would stop for gas. I have a small back rest on my seat and highway pegs that were both a life saver. Check your tire pressure and check your oil everytime you gas up. And most importantly, what out for the cages that are not watching out for you!

Have a great trip!

PS. I drank coffee, coke, and beer (once stopped for the night) the entire time. I am sure it helped to wipe me out, but not so much that I couldn't make it. I rode 9 - 10 hours a day.

My ride was not certified and I only drank what I would normally drink. I would listen to biglew55 if you are wanting certification.

All I can say is be very careful in and around Chicago (You have to pay even more attention to the cages there)
I rode up to one of my V.A. appointments in Chicago and they are definitely "BIKE BLIND" especially on the toll raods.

Back