free website stats program Checking oil level questions. | Harley Davidson Forums

Checking oil level questions.

qdaking

hello,
i have an 05 Deuce. It doesn't have an oil dipstick so i had to buy a new one. I bought one with the temp gauge with 2 7/8 stem on ebay w/ no part number. When it got home and i stuck it in, there were no oil touching the stem. Low oil pressure light didn't come on when i ride the bike so i know my bike oil's level is not that low....i'm not sure if i bought the right dipstick for my bike, does anyone know how long is the stem for the Deuce's oil dipstick by any chance? i know the part number for the dipstick is 62896-00B but it never said how long is the stem.
When i check the service manual for 00-05 softail and it said:
Engine Oil Level Check
Place the motorcycle on a level surface and hold it
upright.

CAUTION
Checking the oil level with the motorcycle
on the jiffy stand will result in an incorrect
oil level reading.

But when i read the owner manual that come with the bike, it said that i need to "check the oil level on the jiffy stand".
i was wonder which one is the right procedure to check the oil on the Deuce?
thank you for your time.

Softail is on the jiffy stand and has no more than 3.5quarts or 3.3liters of oil in the tank. My heritage takes 3 liters and its on the mark.

oil level should be checked when the engine is hot or you may get a false reading
low oil pressure light will not tell you if your oil level is good if it does come on whilst riding kill the engine immediately

Brian

Next time you change oil leave 1qt out, start bike to warm it up and get oil thur engine.
Wipe the dipstick off, put in, pull out and mark where oil level is, that is 1qt LOW.
Add 1qt oil, start bike and let idle for a few minutes. Again, wipe off dipstick, put in, pullout and mark where oil level is now, FULL.
Now you know for sure where 1qt low and full is at on dipstick.
wilks3

Last edited:
Back