free website stats program checking flywheel end play | Harley Davidson Forums

checking flywheel end play

roadking01

Contributor
Hello All,

I've desided to rebuild the bottom end on my 01 88ci TC motor. after reading up on the service manual to see what I'm getting my self into and figure out what tools I might need. I've gotton to the assembly section where it shows how to check the flywheel end play. The manual recommends the use of a modified sprocket shaft from an EVO engine in a bench vise to check the end play. is this really the only/best way to do this? does someone make an actual tool to do this?
As always any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

As an amateur mechanic, I can tell you that there is nothing that will make you feel better than taking something apart, fixing what ever needs fixing, and then putting it together and having it run! That being said, I learned a long time ago, while I have no problem putting together a small block, I leave the machining to the professionals. That's not to say you can't do it and do it well, it's just that this is what they do for a living, every day , every week. Thay have the tools, the know how , the jigs and fixtures and the "secrets" that guarantee you a great job. Bottom line, while you could do this yourself, unless you're really experienced and really good at this, you might consider shipping out the bottom end to a pro shop. If you want to wrench the rest of the motor, have at it. As always, just my opinion.....

As an amateur mechanic, I can tell you that there is nothing that will make you feel better than taking something apart, fixing what ever needs fixing, and then putting it together and having it run! That being said, I learned a long time ago, while I have no problem putting together a small block, I leave the machining to the professionals. That's not to say you can't do it and do it well, it's just that this is what they do for a living, every day , every week. Thay have the tools, the know how , the jigs and fixtures and the "secrets" that guarantee you a great job. Bottom line, while you could do this yourself, unless you're really experienced and really good at this, you might consider shipping out the bottom end to a pro shop. If you want to wrench the rest of the motor, have at it. As always, just my opinion.....

Have to agree here, but with one condition; is this your only bike? If it is, go with a pro shop. If it is not, and it doesn't matter if the bike is down for a while, or even worse, like oops, now i need new cases bad, well then give it a shot. Take your time, read, re-read, be patient, stay organized, it will be fun and you will learn so much more about how it all works, and that is never a bad thing.

The lower end on a TC A model is fairly simple and you should have no problems if you take your time with a HD manual. They do make that tool, I think drag or any of the catalogs will show it and setting end play is simple if you have the right tools. Some times it's harder to fine some one you can trust to do the work then it is to do it yourself, how ever Harleys re-man program is the best if you go that way, the price is good and everything is brand new when you get it back. Good luck

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions, I've though about the re-man option as well as having a local indy do the work for me, however I like wrenching and have done all repairs on my cars since I was 16 so I'm pretty mechenically inclined. this is my first and only bike and I realize that if I mess up I will have no one to blame but my self so I will take my time and study the manual carefully.
The biggest reason I've decided to do this myself is to learn all I can about my bike and the inner workings of a TC engine.
I'm sure that if I get stuck during the build I'll get all the answers here at HDT.

On my 2000 FXDS years ago(01) when the front rod started peeling off Slivers of Shinny material....I totally rebuilt to ALL NEW,,, I bought a new stock HD crank set, all the new bearings.

While I had it apart(motor split) with the old crank out and measure Here and Measure there,,,,,,, and was trying to figure HOW and What..
I simply took the bottom end to a HD shop and had a Guy Named Richard that I felt knew HOW to do the install of the New crank and IF I remember right IT didn't cost much more to have him install my new bearings along with the crank....

Knowing it was SET PROPERLY when done.... YES,,, I could of done it MY SELF but it took less time (with no worry) and when he got it together, it was properly shimmed and sealed, then back to me,,,, there was still plenty enough work for me to do and still feel Proud I did it all..

I Like the Older Style Cranks on the TC's and that second one lasted for Many MOONS... Yes as a 100 + HP 100 + Tq.. 95" motor. Putting over 60,000 miles on that Build before I traded off for my 09 (new) FLHR... Bike had a total of 117,000 mile. Still looked as if it just came off the show-room floor.... Well maybe the bike was getting OLD,,, and was ready for a NEW Home... Sure do miss that bike though. :newsmile08:

signed....BUBBIE

Back