free website stats program Check engine light | Harley Davidson Forums

Check engine light

OTRA

I have a 97 FLHTCI and recently changed the oil. After changing the oil the check engine light started coming on for a few seconds after starting the engine. I checked my repair manual and it told me how to check for fault codes. It comes back that the camshaft or crankshaft sensor is causing the light. The manual explained how to clear the code and after doing so the light stayed off for about 150 miles. Any ideas what is causing this . Thanks.

So you are now getting a historic code set indication again (light comes on briefly after starting)? If so, is it the same code?

TQ

Yes, I cleared it and it stayed off for a while, but have tryed to clear it againa nd it still comes on

And it is the same code

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 97 FLHTCI and recently changed the oil. After changing the oil the check engine light started coming on for a few seconds after starting the engine. I checked my repair manual and it told me how to check for fault codes. It comes back that the camshaft or crankshaft sensor is causing the light. The manual explained how to clear the code and after doing so the light stayed off for about 150 miles. Any ideas what is causing this . Thanks.

When you changed your oil filter did you notice a sensor near the oil filter? That would be the crank sensor if your motor has one, you did not hit it with the filter wrench or disturb the connection?

Yes I noticed the sensor and I did move the wire a little bit to get the filter out. How do I check it for a good connection? Thanks

Yes I noticed the sensor and I did move the wire a little bit to get the filter out. How do I check it for a good connection? Thanks

If the check engine light is not on fire it up and wiggle the wire does the light come on? Look for any damage to the wire and the outside of the sensor, The real problem would be the inside end of the sensor, you would have to remove it to check if you are that far and have that code why not replace it and clear the code? JMO

Thanks , I will check the wiring and if I pull the sensor I will replace it. I will reply with what I find out. Thanks for your help

Checked all the wires, found one a little loose. Reattached it, cleared the codes and all is well. Thanks guys, really appreciate this forum

Checked all the wires, found one a little loose. Reattached it, cleared the codes and all is well. Thanks guys, really appreciate this forum

Good job on trouble shooting ,best of luck:s

Back