free website stats program Check engine light & alarm light issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Check engine light & alarm light issue

jigglestick

I am hoping someone can shed some light on an issue I am having. I have a 2003 FLHRCI. It was stored in a heated garage for the past 6 months, due to a heavy winter in Minnesota. While in storage, I had a battery tender on it. The battery is only a year old.

Well, on my 1st ride of the season, I noticed that the alarm light would go on and off, randomly. It has a factory alarm, and the light I speak of is shaped like a key and is to the right of my check engine light. I also noticed that the check engine light came on a couple of times. Now, I don't have a siren installed, the alarm just flashes my turn signals and disables the bike. Well, I parked the bike in the lot at work. A few minutes later, I noticed that my turn signals were on steady. I turned the ignition switch on the tank, on and off, and the lights went out.

After work, I was on my way home, and noticed that I had no turn signals. I pulled over to check it out. When I didn't find anything, I went to start the bike. I turned on the tank switch, heard my fuel pump start, like normal, then flipped the thumb switch. All seemed normal. But when I went to hit the start switch, nothing. Not a click. Silence. I looked at my lights. They were all normal and bright. After checking a few things, I decided to have it towed home.

The 1st thing I checked was wiring connections under the seat. All good. Then went to the starter relay. Since I don't carry spare relays, I swapped it out with the brake light relay that was next to it. The bike fired right up, and I now have turn signals again. All seems fine. But, I still have my alarm light coming on and off, randomly, after the bike has been started. The check engine light does also, although not as much.

So, everything sounds and seems fine, with the exception of those lights turning on and off at random, after the bike has been started. They do it at idle and at rpm. I'm afraid to take it anywhere again until I get this problem solved. Any input would be great and I thank you in advance.

BTW. The alarm seems to be functioning as normal.
WAP.gif

Ok. Just tried to retrieve a code as per instructions. The only thing I get, is the same as if I weren't jumping the terminals.

I just get both alarm and check engine lights on....then they go out, as normal. Then after 4 or 5 sec, they both come back on, alarm light 1st, and stay on for 3-4 sec, and go out. Nothing else. No flashing of code.

Before all this started, as you know, once both lights went out, they would stay out.
WAP.gif

Ok. Just tried to retrieve a code as per instructions. The only thing I get, is the same as if I weren't jumping the terminals.

I just get both alarm and check engine lights on....then they go out, as normal. Then after 4 or 5 sec, they both come back on, alarm light 1st, and stay on for 3-4 sec, and go out. Nothing else. No flashing of code.

Before all this started, as you know, once both lights went out, they would stay out.
WAP.gif

Interesting, You may have to use a scanalyzer to retrieve the codes?

Well...update. Just came back out to the garage and all my turn signal lights were on again. And now it's back to original problem. Nothing happens when I hit the start button.

THIS Might be different on yours:

Passer through at a Chevron station when I was fueling my bike. Having the problem with the HD safety system in his bike.

Advice given by many, including me...

Take the battery ground off for a few minutes... Re attach and do a complete refurbish of what the Book/your owners manual says to do.

That did the job on his and he rode away with all working correctly and no light problems...
Did it Work for a long time? how long? He was a passer through and I never saw him again. OR along side the road:D

Take This above story for what it is worth and you paid for it :newsmile07:

signed....BUBBIE

OK Bubbie. He didn't happen to mention if his key FOBS worked OK or not did he? Because mine are working fine. So as far as I can tell, I can probably skip the step in the book that assigns a key FOB. The next step is to enter a personal code to disarm the system in case I loose my FOB. I don't think this bike ever had a personal code entered. I know I never did. I bought the bike 9 years ago with 1200 miles on it and the is no indication that the previous owner set one up.

I do think the fob he had was part of the problem... Saying he just put in new batteries BUT could not get the thing to re-set.

Another friend different time and bike: on his 08 SG

said he turned his fob battery over the opposite direction when he was having problems with his lights and starting... when I asked him/? WHAT? he said YES, reversing the battery (turning Over) in the fob cured his problem. I still can't understand that one.:newsmile053:

Didn't HD come out with a Universal input number code then you applied your own?

Not sure on that one.

signed....BUBBIE

Back