free website stats program Cheap Saddlebag insurance | Harley Davidson Forums

Cheap Saddlebag insurance

Breeze3at

Experienced Member
There are a few articles on the web and You Tube telling/showing how the saddlebags on a touring bike can be detached in less than 10 seconds with only a screwdriver. Here's a CHEAP trick to thwart the casual thief. Get a 5/16"-18
U- nut, bolt and lock washer from almost any hardware or home center. Remove the stock spring clip, and substitute the U-nut, NO TOOL REQUIRED. Then use the big flat washer that was on the spring pin, with a lock washer and a 5/16" x 1 1/4" (not critical length) bolt to attach the bag. Don't tighten too tight and crush the rubber washer. I use blue locktite and only go finger tight. When the locktite drys, it won't allow vibration to loosen the bolt. I only used one per side, on the front of the bag, which is the easiest one for a thief to pry off. Total cost, less than $1.50 per side.
Remember, professional thieves will get what they want, this if for the amateur opportunist type low life.

Attachments

• saddlebag insurance 006.jpg
    saddlebag insurance 006.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 218
Good Advice, I did that with both my baggers, plus keeping them locked will keep the thieves busy

Great tip. Copied you're list and will be picking the needed parts up on the next trip to town. Thanks

Back