free website stats program Chatter at roll on | Harley Davidson Forums

Chatter at roll on

Mavagrand

My bike has a slight chatter in the tranny when I initially roll on the throttle at start up. Seems to be related to the RPMs, I have noticed if I rev it up a little the chatter goes away. I have an 08 with the self adjusting primary chain but wonder if it ain't working right. It seems to be getting worse so wanted some expert advice. It is intermittent as well which makes me wonder if it is related to the load on the tranny at the time of initial roll on..anyway, thanx for your help.

Glider, like any good forum member, I did consult the Self Help Section and have performed your technique several times. The chatter is still there. I might be making too big of a deal about it because, as you know, it has been a while since I had a panic attack about my bike,I'm overdue. The noise is minimal and goes away when RPMs climb, might just be sloppy clutch work. I think.

The part about going away as RPM climbs rings a few bells.

What gas and octane are you using?

Try switching brands to another major brand (93 octane) and see if it changes.

What if any tuner or download?

What mods are done like stage 1 or mufflers?

What is the RPM when this happens roughly and in what gear at this time?

The part about going away as RPM climbs rings a few bells.

What gas and octane are you using?

Try switching brands to another major brand (93 octane) and see if it changes.

What if any tuner or download?

What mods are done like stage 1 or mufflers?

What is the RPM when this happens roughly and in what gear at this time?

Run premium (93), usually from Sunoco here in town.

I am running a Xied on a completely stock 96, including exhaust.

Not sure on RPM but it can't be too high as it only chatters in first gear as I accelerate and always at the beginning of my clutch release. It's almost like I let the clutch out before the RPM are high enough. that might be what I'm doing, sometimes I get lazy.

It really sounds like you are bogging down the engine from what you mention IMO. Try slipping the clutch a bit more when starting off. These bikes have a tall first gear and need to be coaxed off the line a bit. Finesse it! :D

It really sounds like you are bogging down the engine from what you mention IMO. Try slipping the clutch a bit more when starting off. These bikes have a tall first gear and need to be coaxed off the line a bit. Finesse it! :D

Thanks Glider, thats kinda what I was thinking too. Like I said, I am overdue for a panic attack and am looking for something...LOL

Back