free website stats program Charging prob | Harley Davidson Forums

Charging prob

ohnojoe

Does anyone know an easy way to tell if you have a bad voltage regulator or maybe a stator. My bike keeps losing it's charge and I have battery and engine lights on.

Thanks and well so far I have bought a new battery and cleaned the fuses and relays but nothing has worked so far. I may try the dielectric grease and see if that helps at all.

Joe, You need to take a voltmeter that will read to two places (XXdotXX) and measure the voltage at the battery at idle and at 2500 RPM. A 2007 bike should have a 3 phase stator that you can check using the same meter on an AC volt scale. Do you have a genuine HD service manual for the bike.

First check the DC voltage across the battery with engine off. You should see something like 12.60. Start engine and see if you get any voltage lift from where it was with engine off.. Should see something in mid 13's. Something light 13.50 to 13.80. Bring up idle to 2500 RPM. You should see something in low to mid 14's. Something like 14.25 to 14.40. If no to all above , disconnect stator plug from regulator and check stator output using a/c voltmeter. You have 3 wires,, A,B,&C Check from A-B B-C and A-C. You should see a good 40 volts AC on each pair @ 3K RPM.
There is a lot of info in the self help area.

Thanks and I took it to auto zone where they hooked a meter to the battery and when it was not running it was not a good reading but when started it looked fine. Of course, when they checked it the battery and engine lights were off. I just did the dielectric grease deal on the fuses, battery posts, relays, so I'm waiting for a good charge on the battery to see if this helped at all.

A very informative site this is. I've learned a lot already being this is my first Harley.

Okay, well the dielectric grease didn't seem to work so I guess my next step is a voltage regulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your bike is a 2007 your electrical system should still be pretty clean and in good shape. Hopefully your stator is OK and all you need is a regulator. Do you have a meter and are you confortable using it?

Im getting these off the speedometer in diag mode:

no r5p

That is actually no RSP. "no response"
"No Rsp" will appear if the run/off switch is in the off position when doing this procedure.

Try it again with kill switch in RUN position.

Back