free website stats program Chap rub -- no idea about paint | Harley Davidson Forums

Chap rub -- no idea about paint

CRCKR

OK guys, here is the deal.... Jun 18 traded in my last bike on a 18 Street Glide.
Fast forward --> Cold winter....all winter has been with chaps due to cold, rain, snow or hail.

At 14 degrees I am riding...so my legs cannot help but to clench.

My tank looks like it is an 80's tank that has never seen love now. I've scrubbed and tried wax...do I need to clay this thing? It looks like I've been been riding with high grain sandpaper on my thighs!

Thanks,
Cracker Scott

I also have leather rub marks on my tank. Scratch remover didn't do much for it. I also tried Mothers and Meguires 3 step finish restore with not much results. I don't know how thick the clear coat is on the '18's, I polished through it on a spot on my fairing with an orbital, so be careful. Maybe an expert detail shop could do something?

Problem with scratces on paintwork are some are deeper than others and to remove the scratches you will need to reduce the level of clear down to the depth of the deepest scratch
To do this use a 1200 or greater wet and dry paper wet this will dull the surface and reduce the depth of the clear to the depth of the deepest scratch it will also dull the area that has been treated
I personally start with a 1200 then to a 1500 and then a 2000 grit papers always use wet with plenty of water
I then use a rubbing compound to reduce the tiny scratches left by the paper then a polishing compond for final finishing
I would always remove the part from the bike and do it on the bench and i always do it by hand as an orbital sander may remove material much quicker than you are expecting and i always use a rubber sanding block
May be best to tru this procedure out on something that does not matter before you attack your pride and joy
It may take many hours of work to achieve the desired result

Brian

Or you can place the bike under a shelf and try not to drop something on the tank that would chip or dent it.
Cuz that would lead to a call to the insurance guy that find it best to just order a new tank and ask you to store the bike someplace else far away from the shelf that the falling object that caused the unsightly tank damage to begin with.

Back