free website stats program Changing To Synthetic | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing To Synthetic

90FXRS

Contributor
I'm working on an 87 XLH 1100. As far as I know it's always had Harley Regular Heavy, 50wt, in it. Would changing it to 20-50 synthetic have any adverse affects? Leaks are my main concern. The topend has just been rebuilt.

As long as all sealing surfaces are tight I would not think going to syn would have adverse effects...drain the regular oil well...JMHO

What I've noticed on mine and others have reported, you may hear a little more top end noise using synthetic but nothing to worry about.

I found more top end noise with SYN3. Normal or slightly less top end noise with Mobil1 v-twin.

Synthetic oil will find any mating surfaces that are not completely sealed, and weep out:(. It will also keep your engine cleaner:)! I also use Mobil1 V-Twin.

My preference has always been Amsoil 20-50 full synthetic in the engine, and Redline V-Twin full syn for the primary. Never a problem between 5,000 mile changes on the engine oil and 10,000 on the primary. Both have been very clean on inspection after all changes.

Back