free website stats program Changing Shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Shocks

I am thinking about changing the shocks on my 2007 Heritage Softail Classic to make the ride a little smoother. Has anyone changed the shocks on their softail to the Progressive Shocks and do they ride better than stock? Thanks.

Softails by nature of the beast don't ride good with any shock changes. Save your money or buy a bagger. :s

While Glider is correct and the touring bike will give you a softer ride than the softail, I'm on my second set of Progressive shocks on my '94FLSTC. The other shocks I would look into is the Works Performance. Works will take your info and send you a set of shocks set to your weight and type of riding you do. Adjustable Length Softail Shocks

Progressive makes a fine product and I have made shock changes and (or) adjustments to just about every bike I ever owned due to my height restrictions. But I really cannot imagine changing out the HD shocks on a Softail for a smoother ride. The bike is already as comfortable as can be. I would recommend 2 things before I would change the shocks on that stead. 1) Adjust the preload settings to see if that helps. 2) Once you get the preload set the way you like it, invest in a nice seat, preferable one with a rider backrest. You would be amazed at what the difference is once you are really sitting comfortably on your ride.
Good luck with whatever you decide and Seasons Greetings to All.

Glider is correct that a softail isnt as smooth as a touring bike. But I am a large guy, and have a lowerd 07 softail custom, with the preload adjusted and its rides good. I would look into the preload before I bought shocks, also you can buy the new springs that go inside of the shocks and they have a variable rate so you can adjust it to your likeing for a fraction of the cost and since you will already have the shock off you might as well save some money. Good luck buddy

On my FLSTS 1999, mine are enought smooth too...
In fact, only on a bump with a passenger and some weight in the luggages we can feel a "clang" and only if you speed on the bump

Back