free website stats program Changing primary gearing ratio | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing primary gearing ratio

Delmar

(I elected to make this a new post from my previous 6-speed posting)

In my opinion my bike has excessive engine speed on the highway: 3500 RPM @ 75 MPH. This is due to only having a 5-speed plus the higher gearing of the MM injection. Later, when funds allow, I will do a 6-speed gear swap.

First I would like to replace my 3.37 (24T/37T) primary gearing with a 3.15 (25T/36T) setup from a carb or Delphi King. This should drop the highway cruising speed down a couple-hundred RPM. My clutch and chain are likely getting worn by now anyway so consider this to be a maintenance item.

On eBay I found a clutch assembly complete with chain and tensioner off of a 2004 Road King starting at $100. What years will be compatible with my 2001? Anything else I need to look out for?

I have primary gears from my 03 with less than 5K miles on them. 25/36
I'm pretty sure they will work for you.
PM me if interested.

Thanks Steve.

I am definitely interested however first need to educate myself before committing.

I’m curious why you have the spare gears? Did you change to a 24T/37T set for increased acceleration or do a 6-speed swap with a 28-tooth compensating sprocket?

Thanks Steve.

I am definitely interested however first need to educate myself before committing.

I’m curious why you have the spare gears? Did you change to a 24T/37T set for increased acceleration or do a 6-speed swap with a 28-tooth compensating sprocket?
I changed to 24/37 (3.37) for acceleration. At the same time I did a major
95" build. Holy Moses!!
Sold the bike a couple years ago and kept the 3.15 gears.

Back