free website stats program Changing out Road King Police Bike Switches | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing out Road King Police Bike Switches

yes, on an 01 rk. you need a tool to crimp ends on the deutsch connector pins and plugs. no big deal. converted whole bike to civilian wiring. be sure to get the police manual and the factory service manual and put them side by side when you rewire. be sure double check and recheck your wires. i kept the clutch interlock switch but that's just my preference. newer bikes use the molex connectors. i called an aftermarket house and got all the tools and parts at like 1/3 of the h-d price.

I added factory cruise to mine. In doing so they give you new switch pods that replace the old cop ones. I had to also buy a cable from a company that makes them so you can add cruise to your bike. Was well worth it and I have factory cruise and no cop buttons.
If you are interested ... Cruisemount motorcycle cruise control

I use to just pop a new main harness on with switches, then any harley accessory would just plug in. It was a simple job, the harness was about $150.00 and could always find someone with some black take off switches.

I changed mine to a standard switch houseing and went with chrome houseings pulled the extra wires out and depoliced it altogether. not a big deal just take your time and check and double check just what the wires are to before pulling. I took out the clutch saftey switch, and had to order a horn switch.

Thank you to everyone. It sounds like I should give it a try. I am ok with a wrench but wiring spooks me a little. But no time like the present to jump in.

Thanks again

don't know how yours is done but mine was a chop and tape job from somewhere. get the police manual and regular service manual. it will be a snap.

Why not just leaving it? The best way to do it would be to change out the whole harness. Anything else would be a chop job. I made my switch housings look better by getting them chromed. The pursuit light, if you take the flasher out and jump it, works the aux lights. The only thing I wish I had are the radio controlls. Biketronics puts out an aftermarket unit anyway.

I really like the cruise control idea. I am visiting the dealer today to check it out.
Thanks again
Well I love mine. Let me know if you have any questions? And a good point made a few msgs ago. They do chop up the harnesses bad. My headlight died. Traced wiring to just before it went into headlight housing. It had been cut and spiced with crimp connectors. I cut wire section out, soldered connections then sealed well with shrinktubing and tape. I am going to look for a new complete harness I think and do it right. :)

Back