free website stats program Changing Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Oil

I was talking with my buddy about changing oil and he says that he pulls the drain plug, removes the filter and when things stop flowing he starts up his motor (an early 80s Dyan WG) and lets it idle for not quite a minute until the oil stops coming out of the oil filter hole. Said he has been doing this for years and has had no problems. Now I am not willing to try this with either of my bikes but does anyone regularly do this or know of someone that does? He is going to damage his motor, right?
Thanks,
Russell

I would have to question the buddy thing. An engine running without the proper amount of lubricant is going to do damage.

There is enough wear and tear on cold start up with a full amount of oil in engine. I do not know why any one would want to run engine with out oil in it for any reason.
This is one like on TV infomercials "DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME"

I've done it that way a few times, it does get a little more oil out of the engine, not really that much more. There is enough oil coating the engine parts for running it at idle for a little bit without hurting a thing.

If you knew how much residual oil was left in an engine after it was turned off, or how much oil is really supplied to some parts of the engine you'd probably be really surprised and you might have a different opinion, but ignorance is bliss. It's not like he was riding it downtown to get a 6-pack.

Back