free website stats program Changing oil cold | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing oil cold

Scrounger

I have always been told to change the oil on your bike after a short ride. Goes for not only the engine but transmission and primary too. Recently, I watched a buddy work on his bike and he did just the opposite. What gives, don't you get a better drain with the fluids warmed up. He felt that you got more oil out since it had all settled in the bottom of the various drain areas.

What's the best in this case. Hot or cold fluid drains.

Engine and gear oils should be drained warm/hot...thee are "dispersants" that keep the particles in suspension, so when you drain, it is not a sludge that lies in puddles that can't reach the drain hole exit. Do it hot however means wearing gloves to prevent burns and contains "cancer" promoting agents, with dissolved mineral/metallic solids if skin is subjected to constant contact...

Oil flows a lot better when its hot/warm and will draw more contaminants out with it if it is flowing quicker
On my softail i have to remove front silencer to get access to gearbox drain plug and give easy access to the oil tank drain hose so good workshop gloves are handy to stop the hands from burning too much
however when working on a hot engine there is always a hot bit that jumps out and gets you

Brian

I agree with changing the oil after a ride. Have you ever left your bike at he dealer for serive the next day. Do any of your think the mechanic rode your bike before he changes the oil?

Back