free website stats program Changing My Own Oil on 1340 Fatboy | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing My Own Oil on 1340 Fatboy

Ron1052

I am new to Harleys and own a 1997 Fatboy. I would like to change my own oil. Is the drain for the oil tank the only place I need to drain the oil from? Is there a Drain plug on the motor that I also need to drain? Sorry if I sound dumb.

Thanks,
Ron:dknow

Thank You very much for the quick answer. I guess then it will still take the 3 quarts of oil once I drain the oil tank and change the filter.
Thanks Again,
ron

Thank You very much for the quick answer. I guess then it will still take the 3 quarts of oil once I drain the oil tank and change the filter.
Thanks Again,
ron

Do not put 3 quarts in...you will likely overfill the oil tank. That spec is if the engine was being filled for the 1st time from bone dry (you will never be able to drain the oil out of your Harley like that). You will use for the new oil filter about 1/2 cup (4-6oz.) to wet the entire element (takes approx. 3 minutes of soak time) then quickly spin it on firmly hand tight. You will then put the bike on the jiffy stand and put only 2 quarts in. Run the engine for 2 minutes, while checking for leaks. Shut engine down, wait two minutes then wipe & recheck dip stick level, it should be at the lower mark only (your oil is still fairly cold). Once the engine is run for a while with the oil hot, it will expand and be 1/2 way between the low & full marks. :D

You should run the bike with the engine oil "full". This takes a bit of getting used to with Harleys since the correct amount of oil when full is with the oil at operating temperature. In this condition, the oil should be at the oil hot full mark on the dip stick with the bike on the jiffy stand. Double check that with your Owner's Manual or your HD Factory Service Manual.

As Smitty said above, most of us have found the the right amount of oil is about half way up the dip stick when the engine and oil are cold. Once the engine is hot, and the oil at operating temperature (about 230-260 deg F, sometimes lower with a cooler), the level should be at the hot full mark on the dip stick. You will get used to this with a bit of practice!

TQ

Last edited:
You should run the bike with the engine oil "full". This takes a bit of getting used to with Harleys since the correct amount of oil when full is with the oil at operating temperature. In this condition, the oil should be at the oil hot full mark on the dip stick with the bike on the jiffy stand. Double check that with your Owner's Manual or your HD Factory Service Manual.

As Smitty said above, most of us have found the the right amount of oil is about half way up the dip stick when the engine and oil are cold. Once the engine is hot, and the oil at operating temperature (about 230-260 deg F, sometimes lower with a cooler), the level should be at the hot full mark on the dip stick. You will get used to this with a bit of practice!

TQ

I have found that the fresh oil leaks out if the oil level gets close to the full mark when hot and bike is parked on the jiffy stand, hence I do not let it get that high, the "BOSS" does not like me perpetuating the MYTH "You know where a Harley has been by looking for the oil spills" (on our fresh poured grey/white concrete, I got tired of cleaning up the mess and getting yelled at). :8:

BTW the other MYTH "You know where a Harley has been by looking for all the loose hardware that falls off of "em." is also a bit of a nuisance, I am constantly checking for loose stuff, and checking things look tight, but I slipped up, just the other day I was missing one of the chrome bolts on the sissy bar...gotta remember to use loctite on stuff that are loose (when I happen to find them). :sd

Love the bike, but like I said before, this Iron horse needs more than hay and a good run out in the field to make her good! :D

if your Sporty is leaking oil when hot and on the Jiffy stand its way over full most likely 1/4-1/2qt the sporty is never measured on the jiffy stand it should be done with the bike upright.
the quantities shown in the HD manual are WRONG there was a bulletin advising dealers of this issue in 2006/7.
To much oil causes the sporty in the most of extreme case to rupture the oil bag under the seat as some are not plastic welded properly.
It should be 2.8 qts with out filter and 3 with any more and its over full and will blow it out of the filter all over the shop and thru the breathers, hope this helps with the leaking sporty :D (no moredrive cleaning:small3d034:)

Thanks Hobbit, for the tip 'ol Sporty Expert Extraordinaire...! :23: Fortunately, I always fill oil 1 quart less, and only add to just above the lower mark when cold on all my vehicles, as a matter of habit (old school)...! :)

Did not know about the bulletin, :dknow Fortunately, that is why with the first HD oil change I inadvertently did it correctly (and not assume 3 quarts) and had only a few drops on my driveway (it may have been that I did not get all the oil wiped up when I removed my foil "windage tray" I put under the oil filter) and not make an even bigger mess...live & learn...this HDT site is awesome! :p

Thanks again everyone for all the help and pointing me to the right places to find what I needed.
Thanks,
Ron

Just one more time Ron get the service Manual from HD for your bike it will be the best money you ever spent and maybe the only thing you ever buy for your HD that will save you money. :)

Amen Smitty, only problem was the new 2009 Catalog was sitting right there for the Salesman to offer it to me "AND IT WAS FREE..." :newsmile093:

Back