free website stats program Changing my grips..not going well | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing my grips..not going well

ickster

My new '08 Sporty has the nice Willie G grips. The throttle rt side was missing the tip and then yesterday started sliding off. So I get a new set and the install is going great. Looking easy. Got one cable attached and then BAM I drop the little keeper ring that goes on the end of the other cable. Story of my life. Wait...it gets better. I cannot find it anywhere. My 2 car garage is fairly clean but I can't find it anywhere. I swept my floor like five times! So I take my compressor and give my bike a few easy blasts in case it's fallen between some wires or something. A little shot around the throttle, then uh-oh! A little flat curved plastic piece pops out of the open throttle. This is from in where the switches are. It is flat, about a half inch long with a curve and about a quarter inch across and about an eighth thick (all approx) it had a little grease on it. I have no idea how it sat in there! I do have the HD repair manual but just don't see it in the pics of course. Can anyone tell me where this piece goes? And where the keeper piece went on my garage floor?

It was going so well.

The curved piece you mention is the pad that gives you the throttle lock function under the bar grip. It sits in there on top of the screw where you tighten it to hold the throttle open. (poor mans cruise control):D

The barrel for the end of the cable, you'll find that in about 6 weeks when you least expect it. Best to put an old piece of carpet under the bike when doing things like that with small parts so if it drops (which it will) it won't bounce and roll to far.

Look inside the switch housing for the barrel.:s

Was the piece you lost the brass ferule that hooks onto the end of the cable? If so you can purchase another from Harley if you cant find that one.

Thanks guys! Got 'er under control! The plastic piece was indeed from the "poor man cruise control" knob. Thanks Glider. Parts guy recommended I just leave it out, so I did. The grip went on no problem! Never did find the ferrule!

I dropped one of those two weeks ago when I changed my grips and it took me 20minutes to find it, 4' away from the bike under some old roters. I feel your pain.

Back