free website stats program Changing Levers On A 2010 Heritage | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Levers On A 2010 Heritage

Shelby6t7

Have a friend who's looking to change out the stock levers on her 2010 Heritage, for the Kuryakyn Boss Blades adjustable clutch levers. Lookin' for the best way to do the job.

Thanks

It's a pretty straight forward job but there are some areas that need special attention one being the brake light switch on the right side. Care should be taken not to break the switch and the rest is just a simple removal of the "C" clip holding the lever hinge pins in place and a bit of common sense too. You have to release the cable adjustment at the bar end on the clutch cable to get the lever off. A dab of grease on the pins when resembling them keeps things smooth and while you're at it some cable lube would be a good idea too.

If your friend is wanting to change the levers due to having smaller hands and wants to reduce the reach, there is the following note on the standard Boss Blades which could be an issue for her.

Note: When P/N 1038 is installed on an '08-'11 Softail or Dyna, the brake lever will be positioned approximately 3/8" farther from the bar than the stock lever.

I did not see this note on the NEW Adjustable Boss Blades but from what I can tell the brake lever is the same as the standard Boss Blade. Might be worth a call to Kuryakyn to verify?

Yes, that is precisely the reason for her wanting to change the levers. she has already purchased them, so I will pass that info onto her.

Thanks Glider & Triple J for your help.

Swapped out the levers, it was no problem thanks to the advice given here.
Picked up a pair of snap ring pliers, a must have tool in my opinion, to do the job right.
For those who may be interested, the Kuryakyn Boss Blades adjustable levers work primarily for the clutch, with a 5 position adjusting knob, which does bring the lever closer to the bars than the stock lever.
The brake lever has no adjustment and is pretty much in the same position as the stock lever.

Thanks again
As always for the great support on this forum.

I have read of some problems with some aftermarket brake levers in that they do not release all the way and can cause the front brake not to release fully. The brake then gets hot and can stick the front wheel. This can cause a bad problem when riding. Hope your friend makes sure the lever is releasing completely.
Good Luck, Pete

Back