free website stats program Changing cam Cover on EVo Softail | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing cam Cover on EVo Softail

patxa

Hello people,

I purchased a chrome cam cover for my 1987 1340 EVO Softail and was wondering how difficult it was to fit up.

Can i just unbolt the old one and swap them over or do i need to pull the rockers pushrods etc

I don't want cams & gears etc falling out of the thing so i though i would find out beforehand.

Amny Thanks

Pedro

yeah your going to have to loosen the pushrods. your also going to have to check the cam end play with the new cover.

You only have to loosen the pushrods if you have a sportster. Your avatar says you have a evo big twin. You do have to measure the cam and breather gear end play using a new gasket. You need a service manual for the specs, and gasket crush allowance. Not difficult, but could be critical, especially if the new cover was made offshore.

Bummer,

I though it may be a simple process.. How difficult is it to Check the end play??

Also i am pretty sure that i have Adjustable Pushrods (i lifted the tube covers and saw nuts on the Pushrods also push rods a two gold and two silver)

Anyone know of a how to on the web anyplace ?

Thanks for the replies though

Peter

youll need a repair manual. its the play in the cam, back and forth. you might check it after loosening the pushrods and before removing the old cover, to see where its at now. they sell shims for it. kinda of like checking the wheel bearing play on a car. you dont want it to tight and not to loose.

The difficulty is not great, but the procedure is more than can be clearly said in one or two sentences, pictures help a lot. If you google terms like Harley evo cam change, or similar you may find something with pictures. I know you want to do this now, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but the $45 you spend on the Harley service manual for your year/model will pay for itself on this use alone. It's quite possible that you could just swap the covers with no adverse effects. The opposite is also possible, and LOTS more expensive and time consuming. Your call, good luck.
Breeze (also Peter)

MAny Thanks Guys,
I do have a manual and had a good read through last night.
The manual does not specificaly advise on cam cover change only. It does as part of a camshaft change / inspection. So i wondered if i needed to remove pushrods etc when i was only changing the cam cover.

According to the manual i need to take out the pushrods tubes blocks etc before changing over the cover and checking the endfloat on the cam to cover ..through the tappet block hole..

While i am quite mechanical and have rebuilt a few v8 fords over the years not sure about tackling this on my own...

Will have to think about it a little more.

Many thanks

Back