free website stats program Changing air cleaner cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing air cleaner cover

FLST

I want to change the "football" air cleaner cover to a round one. I am wondering if I will need to change the fuel map if I do that. Here is what is on the bike now:

2005 FLSTCI
Screamin' Eagle air cleaner with football cover. The filter is round.
V&H Long Shot exhaust; no baffles.
Factory EFI.

I'm not 100% certain but my guess would be that the cover makes no difference unless it significantly alters the amount of air getting in.

I am in about the same situation as you, meaning that:

I've changed my exhaust (V&H shortshots)
I've got a high flow air filter (SE - with football cover)

and I want to get a smaller filter cover since I like that open element look.

Now the only thing I've got different than you is that I've got my EFI remapped to accomodate the high flow filter and the new pipes, so I think I can get away with it without a remap..
You on the other hand have changed both intake and exhaust without a remap, so it's my guess that you are running pretty lean by now.

So long story short, I'd get my EFI remapped, not due to the cover, but due to everything else you've changed.

Take care,

That cover is wide open in the back dont think it could let in any more air even if u took it all the way off it real just keeps the air cleaner a little cleaner and keeps the rain off it... but with the open element a good rain will do u in if u dont got a rain sock with u.
I have found that out first hand

I am in about the same situation as you, meaning that:

I've changed my exhaust (V&H shortshots)
I've got a high flow air filter (SE - with football cover)

and I want to get a smaller filter cover since I like that open element look.

Now the only thing I've got different than you is that I've got my EFI remapped to accomodate the high flow filter and the new pipes, so I think I can get away with it without a remap..
You on the other hand have changed both intake and exhaust without a remap, so it's my guess that you are running pretty lean by now.

So long story short, I'd get my EFI remapped, not due to the cover, but due to everything else you've changed.

Take care,
I guess I didn't provide enough information. I bought the bike the way it is from a dealer. It seems to run good at idle (haven't had it on the road yet as I got it in December). I am guessing that whoever installed the a/c and exhaust had the remap done or did it themselves. Is there a way to tell if the factory EFI has been changed from stock?

If you add fuel in anyway in the past yout fine.
An 05 did not have the room to adjust it's self the 07 and newer ones did.
The cover will make little difference Ithe filre is the the issue and if you sticking with what you hard you good.
I did some research to verify this new information and it only creates more questions. I understand the Harley fuel map on the '05 is not adjustable. Did I understand that corectly? If so, then how does the engine stay running well when the air and exhaust is opened up? From other help files I understand that changing intake and exhaust only will result in a lean condition.

Thank you for the education.

I have a related question, I had SE Air, Vance & Hines short shot staggared, and a PCV installed when I purchased my FLSTFB, If I changed the SE Air to a K&N Air Charger should I remap.

The bike can be remapped.
The ECM is not as flexible as newer ones meaning it does not have the built in ability to correct for minor changes that newer models do.
If you allow more air in or more exhaust out it will effect the over all air to fuel mix. How much depend on how wild you go. Example straight pipes viruses basic slipon the straights will have a larger effect.
In your case if you bough it used and it has had those mods awhile pretty good bet the fuel has been dealt with.
If it all ready has a freer flowing AC and you just change the cover it is house in then your are not really changing the amount of air the flows in so no change is needed.
Now all that aside, if you really would like to :
1. See it runs it best
2. get the most from the AC and pipes
3. Sleep with out worrying about air to fuel
4. do it for a fair cost.
Then a basic fuel Manager is the way to go.
In your case a TFI (brand Name) Is simple easy to use caveman can install and set it up. Allows enough adjustment for you yo adapt it your self with no other cost.
The cost of a down load applied to the cost of the TFI will return you far more for what you spend.
I hope this makes it easier to figure out.
Thank you for clearing that up for me smitty. I think I get it now lol I hope. I will look into TFI and see if it is something I want to go with. I'll know better when I get a chance to ride. Spring's a commin'.

Enjoy the ride and don't let all this mod stuff beat you up.
There are more tuners on the market than I can count . No madder what brand they all fall in to a few groups.
Auto tuners, High end for big builds these are more for the rider that wants to play with the tune a lot, and those mainly for street use and basic builds.
The TFI is by far the leader IMO for the street rider that needs some flex in tuning and wants a reasonable price unit that is well made and works.
Thank you again smitty. If the bike runs great, and I'm sure it will, I'll leave it alone (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). However, if my cousin gets the stage 2 done on his '85 Superglide, I just may hafta..... :newsmile020:

Back