free website stats program Changed primary and trans from 20/50 | Harley Davidson Forums

Changed primary and trans from 20/50

67hat34c

07 Nightrain. at 1k mile changed all 3 holes to Amsoil 20/50. But after reading alot of posts and talking to 2 independent shops I decided to change transmission to Spectro 75/140 and the primary back to HD +. Kept the Amsoil in engine as it appears that it is still considered the best overall.

Did the change with 5200 miles on the bike. Drained the 20/50 from primary and noted only a little bit of hair around the base of the magnet, not enough to even clean off but I did anyhow. Engine oil drained and found the same amount on the magnet. Drained the 20/50 from the transmission and found the same amount as on the others.

Based on the 5200 mile oil drain it would appear the the Amsoil 20/50 was doing a fine job. As mentioned I changed the primary to HD + and trans to Spectro. Will change all 3 again at 10k and see what the plugs look like.

By the way, when draining the oil from the big twin i take it you dont get all of it out via the main drain plug as it did not take a full 3.5 qts. Also after running the oil no longer was perfectly clean. Guessing there was .25 quarts left in the block. Do you guys pull the forward drain plug as well or just be satisfied with what comes out of the main plug?

The less fuzz you find on the magnets, the better job your choice of oil is doing. Gear oil should always be used in the trans and not engine oil.

The softails as well as the others have quite a bit of dirty oil left in the oil galleries when the oil tank is drained. On your softail model, you can use this procedure to flush the oil out of the galleries. I did this on my softail and the oil stayed cleaner much longer after a change.

DO NOT remove the plug under the engine case to drain the engine sump.

Complete Oil Change (softail) - Harley Davidson Community

Glider, would it have been better to use the spectro primay chain lub instead of the HD+?

Review of the complete oil change procedure. Not a difficult thing but also doesnt appear to be very important either. With new oil and filter(amsoil filter) and change every 5k miles would think the small amount of old oil will be fine.

Glider, would it have been better to use the spectro primay chain lub instead of the HD+?

Review of the complete oil change procedure. Not a difficult thing but also doesnt appear to be very important either. With new oil and filter(amsoil filter) and change every 5k miles would think the small amount of old oil will be fine.

Either product will do a decent job in the primary.

As far as the softail oil change posted not being important....that's a matter of opinion.
I changed my oil and filter at 2500 miles and did the complete oil change listed on my softail. You be the judge of what you feel is the best for you. I also would not use any Amsoil products in my bikes but that's my own personal opinion on what I like.

glider, what oil products do you use in your bikes? I currently use the Redline Product line for all three holes - i.e. Redline 20-50 in the crankcase, Redline heavy duty shock proof in my trans, Redline MTL primary oil, and Redline 10w fork oil.

Any comments/suggestions on the Redline Products?

Redline makes some great products, especially the shockproof heavy for the trans. Only thing I didnt like about it is in the very cold weather, it takes a few blocks to warm it up and shifting can be a bit stiff but otherwise I like it.

I use the Mobil 1 V Twin in the engine with HD filters , Spectro platinum 6 speed in the trans and Harley formula+ in the primary.

Hey, guys listen to Glider. I trust the heck out of him and what he is trying to tell you is to use lubricants formulated for air cooled V-twins. Lubricants either petroleum or synthetic use the same additives. The amount of additives is reviewed by the epa to make sure they will not over pollute. The difference between petroleum and synthetic is that the syn. will retain its viscosity longer. However, and a big however, if you change lubricnats per Harley's recomentdations then viscosity will not be a problem from either type of lubricant. Glider always stresses change the oil on a regular basis and use the oem filters. That is what I have always tried to do and my Evo has over 100k and does not use any oil. Good enough for Glider. Good enough for me. Fossil

Back