free website stats program Changed plugs and oil. Engine sluggish and engine running hot | Harley Davidson Forums

Changed plugs and oil. Engine sluggish and engine running hot

ickysticky74

I just changed my plugs and oil on 2006 Electra Glide Standard with 7,000 miles on it. I used Mobil 1 oil, HD oil filter and HD plugs. The bike seems to have lost power and is a bit more sluggish. It seemed to be running hotter also. I have a big sucker air cleaner, V&H fuel pack and Rush 2.25 slip ons. My buddy said that the plugs didn't have to be gapped that the Harley plugs are already pre gapped. I didn't agree because the box said to gap according to your Service manual. So he just put them in ungapped. Maybe I am freak but the bike didn't have the torque off the line like it did and when I checked the oil when I got home the metal top to the dipstick was to hot to touch. If I am stressing over nothing then I am sorry but it just seemed different. I use to have HD synthetic oil in it. I thought putting the Mobil1 in would make the bike run a little cooler. Oh sorry I rode about 50 miles and the temp was 75. Any help would be great.

I have never installed a set of plugs I did not gap!!!

Don't listen to your friend that said they don't have to be gaped. Yes they should be gaped from the factory but anything can happen in transportation that would close up the gap like of a box was dropped etc. It pays to take the extra minute to check the gap on both plugs before installing them. I would suggest pulling the plugs and checking the gap.

The syn oil would help with the heat problem too.

Never trust a plug to be gaped correctly, I have had champion plugs new in the old cardboard and plastic packages with NO threads:s

GAP 0.038-0.043 in. (0.97-1.09 mm) I have an 2004 Electra Glide 88 engine service Manual and that is what it says to gap it. Would that also apply for the 2006 Electra Glide 88 engine. Thanks as always Hd Don and Glider. You guys are always there to help.

Back