free website stats program changed for syn 3 to formula + | Harley Davidson Forums

changed for syn 3 to formula +

FLIPBEL

I changed the tranny and primary oil from syn 3 to formula +. I read so much about how bad an idea it was to put motor oil (syn 3) in the tranny and primary that I decided to change it. Let me tell you, it make a (EDIT) of a difference on the shifting (smooth). My egc only has 1900 miles and I found no metal shavings on the magnets:D. So maybe syn 3 is not as bad, but why take a chance. Anyway thanks for all the information this forum provides.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed the tranny and primary oil from syn 3 to formula +. I read so much about how bad an idea it was to put motor oil (syn 3) in the tranny and primary that I decided to change it. Let me tell you, it make a hell of a difference on the shifting (smooth). My egc only has 1900 miles and I found no metal shavings on the magnets:D. So maybe syn 3 is not as bad, but why take a chance. Anyway thanks for all the information this forum provides.
The formula+ is good in the primary, but if you really want to be impressed, switch the tranny to a tranny oil. I use Spectro Platinum for 6speed. Its a 75-140w full synthetic tranny oil. You will notice the difference.:s

SORRY, DID NOT KNOW "THAT" WORD WAS A BAD WORD. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN. HOW LONG WILL MY PUNISHMENT LAST?:small3d023:

Yes sir i did. THATS WHAT THE BOTTLE SAYS ITS FOR. I KNOW THE SYN 3 ALSO SAYS ITS FOR TRANNY, BUT MOTOR OIL IN TRANNY (NO NO).

The formula+ is good in the primary, but if you really want to be impressed, switch the tranny to a tranny oil. I use Spectro Platinum for 6speed. Its a 75-140w full synthetic tranny oil. You will notice the difference.:s

This is the way to go.:s

I use the Amsoil 75-140 Severe Gear and noticed a huge difference. Also have heard from many that swear by Redline Heavy Shockproof.

I switched from Formula+ to Spectro, huge difference in how smooth it shifts and how easy you get to neutral!

I use the Amsoil 75-140 Severe Gear and noticed a huge difference. Also have heard from many that swear by Redline Heavy Shockproof.

I have used REDLINE products and have had very good results from them... REDLINE Shockproof Heavy IS MY CHOICE!

I have used ONLY redline in MANY of my bikes and have reaped rewards by doing so... the 6 speed conversion in a 2000 FXDS had over 60,000+ miles on it and 117000 on the bike when traded off.. 20/50 redline used in motor, still showing perfect compression on both cyl's at 205/208 with over 50,000 miles on rebuild (HOT ROD)
tranny NEVER EVER had ANY metal on magnetic plug..

I also agree with Glider's above statement on spectro being GOOD if not ONE OF THE BEST..
Spectro ALSO uses SHOCKPROOF.. If I couldn't find redline I would use spectro .... AS IT IS similar to the HIGH QUALITY I have found in redline.

MOST people say REDLINE is VERY HARD to FIND at a local oil houses..

I order mine by the case from redline off their internet site..

REDLINE 20/50 ENGINE
MTL IN CHAINCASE
SHOCKPROOF HEAVY IN TRANNY

JUST MY WAY....

signed....BUBBIE

Back