free website stats program Change Steering Stem Bearings on 2006 Dyan | Harley Davidson Forums

Change Steering Stem Bearings on 2006 Dyan

Kjay

Has anyone changed the steering stem bearing on 06 Dyan? Is it very difficult and time consuming or am I better off taking it to the shop?

Has anyone changed the steering stem bearing on 06 Dyan? Is it very difficult and time consuming or am I better off taking it to the shop?

Not that hard, but WAY easier with the puller/installer tool. Check out George's Garage tools to compare prices.

TQ

After reading some of the replies on this site I feel that the reason I want to change the bearings is because of the clunking sound I am hearing like a lot other people I felt this should clear the problem.

The puller installer, is that one tool or two?

Last edited by a moderator:
you re gonna need a bearing race installer and you're gonna need a bearing race remover---- you can get the races out if you have a welder-- spot weld then they tend to loosen up with heat loss-- personally i dont turn wrenches that way but it does work................ cost for driver an split collet race remover 115-165,, cost for installer-- 125 appx. quite easy once you have tools in hand..................

just use a punch to remove the old ones and put the new ones in your freezer over nite they will go in easy with a punch but on a 2006 i can,t belive this is the problem try rebacing the bearings a readjust your headset that should cure it,jel

After reading some of the replies on this site I feel that the reason I want to change the bearings is because of the clunking sound I am hearing like a lot other people I felt this should clear the problem.

The front end clunk is a common issue on the later models, especially the 06 - 07 Dynas. Changing the bearings would be similar to cutting off your big toe because you believe you have a hang-nail.

The fix for the clunk is fairly simple and very cheap. Here is a copy of a service bulletin put out by Harley. Many have been able to get their dealer to do the fix at no charge. I recommend doing the work yourself to ensure it is done correctly.

If you would like a full size copy of this service bulletin in pdf format, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

SBM1215.jpg

Last edited:
Jmpancoast has the ticket right there. That is the cure, not the bearings. :)

Getting rid of that foul oil that Showa puts in the forks and go with the type E Harley fork oil improves the dampening of the forks too. You can notice it right off.

Rickybobby you were right Jmpancoast had the right idea. I use his method and it only cost me $6.40. and 5 to 10 minutes to install the kit which was only a thin washer about 1 inch in diameter. I try it and no more clunk. Beforehand I had taken the bike to Harley and was informed I needed new steering head bearings which were $28.00 each needing 2 and labor would run in the range of $270 -$300, I talked to a private mechanic he said hed charge about $150 for labor and I buy the bearings which I found for $20 each. So for anyone else that may not be aware this site can save you a lot of money. I am just suprised that there is a service bulletin about this situation and the stealership didn''t inform me, well thatis why I call it the stealership. Thanks guys. Stay safe on the blacktop

When doing neck bearings on my springer I couldnt get the races out.Didnt have a puller handy so I called an old time mechanic friend.He asked if I had a welder?That I did have {little 110 mig}.He told me to perform a couple of quik tacs directly on the races which I did.The races fell right out with no damage to the neck.
Much easier than a puller if you happen to have a mig.

Back