free website stats program change locks in fuel door or new cap | Harley Davidson Forums

change locks in fuel door or new cap

Fairly new to this site and did some reading on here and wanted to know if anyone has some advice on making sure no one can tamper with the bikes fuel? No luck at dealership with replacing locking gas cap, is there any locking gas caps that anyone knows about? Or should the fuel door lock be changed, and can you do that?
Had a bad experience on a road trip where someone dumped a drink into the bikes fuel tank soooo ....
Thanks for any info,
Cheers!
:s

Don't know if your '09 uses fuel cap that is compatible with the locking one HD sells, but you might look into it first. It is round with HD logo cover that slides out of the way to reveal standard flat keyhole.

On the tri-glide I thought your fuel cap was the same lock as ignition.Isn't it?

You could check with a locksmith and see if the common keyed gas door lock could be changed to match the bike key.
Also, the possibility that a standard locking gas cap for a automobile will fit. Never really compared the bike gas cap with the one on the car, but it would be worth a look.

Last edited:
Unless they changed it on the 09's, I believe that any barrel type key will open your gas door. If you think it will only open with your ignition key, you may be in for a surprise!

Like I say, unless they changed it for 09, it was always just a commom keyed latch. You could even open it with the round cap off a ball point pen.
Check your new one Hobbit, and let us know for certain.

Like I say, unless they changed it for 09, it was always just a commom keyed latch. You could even open it with the round cap off a ball point pen.
Check your new one Hobbit, and let us know for certain.

I just checked my 07 EGC and I could only open it with my ign.key. No bicycle lock key and no pen

Try another Harley key Steve. Any other Harley barrel key. Betcha a cookie it will open.

Back