free website stats program Change handlebars to mini-apes. | Harley Davidson Forums

Change handlebars to mini-apes.

Hogguy

I have a 2006 XL1200L and I want to change out my stock handlebar with a 12" mini-ape set along with whatever I need to complete the install. I'm sure someone out there in Harley land has experienced this mod and I can use some advise on the smartest way to do it, what parts are needed and where to get all the parts without breaking the bank. I know there is probably a kit of sorts available thru Harley or other suppliers but I would appreciate anybody's help on this project. More than likely I will have someone else do the labor because of a slight disability. Thank you all in advance.

I put 12" apes on my wife's 02 883 and there was enough wire inside the head light to reach the controls. The throttle and clutch just had to be rerouted. The turn signal wires were a little tight but would work. I move them down to the lower triple clamp, the relocatoin kit is only $30.00 pt# 68517-94A chrome and 68643-09 for gloss black, very easy to put on.

Good deal Trd865, getting "tried and true" HD kits is a very good thing...precludes the foibles of incompatibility or ill' fitted or tested after market designs.

I put 12" apes on my wife's 02 883 and there was enough wire inside the head light to reach the controls. The throttle and clutch just had to be rerouted. The turn signal wires were a little tight but would work. I move them down to the lower triple clamp, the relocatoin kit is only $30.00 pt# 68517-94A chrome and 68643-09 for gloss black, very easy to put on.

Thanks, hopes this works for me as I am doing 10" Mini-Apes on 04 XL 1200C and keeping the stock 6" riser so far. Will move the signals to the triple tree.

Back