free website stats program Champion Reverse Kit Install | Harley Davidson Forums

Champion Reverse Kit Install

dakota_dj

I finished installing a Champion Reverse Kit this evening. Install went well, good parts and instructions. Here are some pics. The reverse works really good.

Tim:bigsmiley12:

Attachments

• Champion Reverse Kit Install 001.jpg
    Champion Reverse Kit Install 001.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 340
  • Champion Reverse Kit Install 005.jpg
    Champion Reverse Kit Install 005.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 320
  • Champion Reverse Kit Install 007.jpg
    Champion Reverse Kit Install 007.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 339
  • Champion Reverse Kit Install 011.jpg
    Champion Reverse Kit Install 011.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 342
  • Champion Reverse Kit Install 013.jpg
    Champion Reverse Kit Install 013.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 351
Looks good.
How long did it take? Any special tools needed? Any special adjustments needed?

Inquiring minds want to know.:)

Looks good.
How long did it take? Any special tools needed? Any special adjustments needed?

Inquiring minds want to know.:)

Took 4 hours to install, took longer to pull the exhaust and floor boards off than to intall the kit. There is one special tool needed for the large gear. You can buy it from Champion or us a snap on 3 leg oil filter wrench. I tried a filter wrench from NAPA and it wouldn't work because it would only tighten up as if you were taking a oil filter off. The snap on will tighten either direction. No special adjustmet. Readjust the clutch by the H-D service manual.

Tim

You are going to love having a reverse gear. No more having to back into downward sloping parking spaces or downward sloping streets. You can just pull in and then use reverse to back out. This makes parking so much easier. Of course, your fellow H-D riders will rag on you for not parking the same way they do. They may even accuse you of acting like you have a Goldwing.

You touring guys get all the good stuff. Cannot believe how long it takes for technology to trickle down to MOCO's top drawer baggers. Oh well, have to keep convincing yours truly's '04 Sporty is just fine as a minimalist machine. Still from time to time I wish I had a center stand and now a reverse gear...2011 model year maybe...?

You touring guys get all the good stuff. Cannot believe how long it takes for technology to trickle down to MOCO's top drawer baggers. Oh well, have to keep convincing yours truly's '04 Sporty is just fine as a minimalist machine. Still from time to time I wish I had a center stand and now a reverse gear...2011 model year maybe...?

Yes, the MOCO does seem to be a little behind the curve. The Goldwing has had a center stand and a reverse gear for years. Of course, those features on my Goldwing don't get used as much as they used to now that I have my Harley.

How does it work? Do you put the transmission in neutral, engage the reverse and use the starter? Are there ant electrical interfaces?

How does it work? Do you put the transmission in neutral, engage the reverse and use the starter? Are there ant electrical interfaces?

You pull the clutch lever in, put bike in neutral, push the shifter lever down and then push it forward into reverse. Let the clutch lever out just like you would in 1st gear and give a little throttle while feathering the clutch lever. Works good.

I took my bike in for the 1000 mile service this afternoon at the local H-D dealer and the service manager, the owner and the service tech really like it. They had to try it out a few times.

Back