free website stats program Chaincase oil level | Harley Davidson Forums

Chaincase oil level

Dango789

I just got my 2008 Road King Classic a few weeks ago. It has 12500kms or about 8000 miles on it. Since I don't really have a proper history, I knew that the best thing to do is change all fluids. I changed the motor oil using Mobile-1, 20-50 synthetic and used an HD 5 micron chrome oil filter, no problem. Then I changed out the transmission fluid using Amsoil 75-90 synthetic severe gear oil. Again, no problem, but both of these oil chambers have dip sticks to check. Then I drained my chaincase oil, replaced the plug after changing the o-ring, and started to fill the compartment using Amsoil synthetic 20-50. I put in one quart and then about 6 ounces from a second bottle as perscribed in my owners manual. The bike was on the jiffy stand while I did this. I've read that the oil level in the chaincase should come up to the bottom of the clutch housing while the bike is upright and level. That being said, should there not have been oil showing, or even coming out of the bottom of the derby cover since the bike was on the side stand? Or is the bottom of the clutch housing that they refer to lower than I think it is? I'm just concerned that the oil level may be to low. Any feedback or insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks;
Dan

You should have a dipstick on the under side of the transmission fill plug.

As far as the primary, the clutch housing as you expected is very deep in the primary housing and the 38 ounces is the correct amount.It's difficult to see if it is to the bottom of the clutch housing on the newer bikes. Fluids for the primary should also be checked straight up in most cases as you mentioned too.

I just got my 2008 Road King Classic a few weeks ago. It has 12500kms or about 8000 miles on it. Since I don't really have a proper history, I knew that the best thing to do is change all fluids. I changed the motor oil using Mobile-1, 20-50 synthetic and used an HD 5 micron chrome oil filter, no problem. Then I changed out the transmission fluid using Amsoil 75-90 synthetic severe gear oil. Again, no problem, but both of these oil chambers have dip sticks to check. Then I drained my chaincase oil, replaced the plug after changing the o-ring, and started to fill the compartment using Amsoil synthetic 20-50. I put in one quart and then about 6 ounces from a second bottle as perscribed in my owners manual. The bike was on the jiffy stand while I did this. I've read that the oil level in the chaincase should come up to the bottom of the clutch housing while the bike is upright and level. That being said, should there not have been oil showing, or even coming out of the bottom of the derby cover since the bike was on the side stand? Or is the bottom of the clutch housing that they refer to lower than I think it is? I'm just concerned that the oil level may be to low. Any feedback or insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks;
Dan
The bottom of the clutch housing is down there pretty deep. You will not see it pouring from the inspection window when the bike is on it's kick stand. My friend is a HD master tech and told me "just dump the whole quart in there and that's it." I would say you are perfectly fine.

NO. The oil will not come out of primary. While on jiffy stand you should notice that the oil is up on the clutch basket. Remember that the primary cover is very big and the oil splashes while riding. Good to use 38 oz...

The bottom of the clutch housing is down there pretty deep. You will not see it pouring from the inspection window when the bike is on it's kick stand. My friend is a HD master tech and told me "just dump the whole quart in there and that's it." I would say you are perfectly fine.

The 08's had no inspection window in the primary, only the derby cover. Your friend should follow the recommended fills also instead of just a quart. That's like saying just add 3 quarts to an engine that would take 3 1/2 quarts.

Back