free website stats program Cell Phone/GPS Mount...Ideas, Please! | Harley Davidson Forums

Cell Phone/GPS Mount...Ideas, Please!

danthern

Greetings...I'd like to install a USB charger so that I can use my cell phone for navigation instead of buying a pricey GPS. I have a 2015 Road King. I'd like to hear how and where the charger would be mounted as well as a waterproof cover and HB mount for the phone. If anyone has done this or something like it, I'd appreciate your knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Charger is mounted to the bars. Wired directly to the battery with an in line fuse. Wire is zip tied to the frame under the tank (removed the tank to do this).

Phone goes in the windshield bag. I have a headset on my helmet so I get turn by turn directions via blue tooth. Also listen to music at the same time, and my wile can call me without having to handle the phone while riding.

I don't mount the phone so I am not distracted looking at it or reaching for it to make changes on the phone while riding.

If the phone needs charged I run the charging cable from the charging port inside the windshield bag to the phone. Stays water proof this way also. On long trips I leave it plugged in.

Charger is mounted to the bars. Wired directly to the battery with an in line fuse. Wire is zip tied to the frame under the tank (removed the tank to do this).

Phone goes in the windshield bag. I have a headset on my helmet so I get turn by turn directions via blue tooth. Also listen to music at the same time, and my wile can call me without having to handle the phone while riding.

I don't mount the phone so I am not distracted looking at it or reaching for it to make changes on the phone while riding.

If the phone needs charged I run the charging cable from the charging port inside the windshield bag to the phone. Stays water proof this way also. On long trips I leave it plugged in.

That's a good setup but my helmet isn't equipped with a headset and I really like my hat so that won't work for me...thanks anyway!!

I mounted a waterproof cigarette lighter extension socket that connects to my battery charger pigtail on to the frame down tube just under the front of the tank with the opening pointing downward to allow any water to run out
And use a handlebar mounted waterproof gps holder for 5" gps unit and use a standard car charger for the gps
Pro Motorcycle Bike Motorbike Handlebar Mount + Waterproof 5 Sat Nav GPS Case | eBay
This setup has been on wife's bike for at least 4 years now I have replaced all my motorcycle gear during that time because it leaked so it has seen some horrendous rain and has worked without fail

Brian

So my sweet sweet wife (ole lady) surprised me with the HD Handlebar Mount 12V Power Port, so I'm halfway there!

Back