free website stats program CB | Harley Davidson Forums

CB

Drumrguy

Account Removed
Does anyone fully understand how to work this thing, when I switch through the radio, cd, aux, etc. to get to the cb it will only let me pick like 4 or 5 channels, I thought there were more than that.

It sounds like your not getting into set up mode by just pushing the mode button. Push the CB or Com button. This puts you in the setup mode where you can select a channel. After selecting the channel you want, pushing the mode button will switch you back to what you were listening to before with the CB in the background. When the squelch is broken, the CB will be heard.

Yeah, just when I read that Richard was looking to tune the CB to the antenna, I thought about Glider's SWR meter for sale...funny how things stick in your mind!:newsmile100:

J&M’s new FLEXPOWER™ hide-a-way CB antenna is THE BEST hide-a-way CB antenna on the market today, and will nearly equal the performance of your rear mounted CB antenna, to help you eliminate altogether the rear mounted CB antenna on your Harley®.

This J&M in-fairing antenna is pre-tuned from our factory for the 27mhz CB radio band (no further tuning is required during installation) and is spec’d for the 1998-2010 versions of the Harley Classic (BatWing) or RoadGlide Fairing, with the factory Harley CB radio.
They more than likely set it up as a compromise because the SWR has to be set for each radio/antenna installation to work properly.

The ground plane of an antenna is important to the distance it "gets out ". The hidden antennas don't reach as far as the stock ones do.

If you have an antenna on the roof of a car for example, it will transmit much further than one mounted elsewhere because of the ground plane.

As a radio operator I can say that the antenna will be pre tuned to the operating band that the radio functions in, which is just below the 30Hz band. An antenna will not tune flat across the band for any setup but it is usually set to the centre of the operating frequency range of the transmitters. On that note there is an acceptable SWR (standing wave reflection) leniency built into transcievers. A certain ampunt of reflective signal is needed for the correct operation and usually 3:1 is the top of the acceptable ratio. also consider just how long each of your transmissions will be. Unless you are broadcasting a radio talk show or running a transmitting kilowatt amplifier, each transmission is usually 30 seconds or less and your transmitted wattage is about 3 to 5 watts. You will be subjecting the transciever to minimal amounts of wave reflection that will have minimal effect on the transmitting side of the circuitry. All this is assuming that your connections and feedline are in good order and there is no breakage in the sheilding on the feedline (coax).
Hope this puts your minds at ease, this is all simple generalizations and can be debated endlessly to the finer points. But for what we use our radios for, I would feel safe in saying factory tuned will be just fine.

In an afterthought,(alzheimers) lol The antenna will most likely be in a "T" configuration. In this case one leg is a Tx/Rx side and the other side is an artificial ground plane designed to compensate for the large metal surfaces loke a trunk or roof to mount to. The ground plane leg is tuned to a specific length to reflect a portion and direct the transmitted signal. All of this is a compromise, but a rather effective one, all things considered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back