free website stats program Catalytic Converter | Harley Davidson Forums

Catalytic Converter

rkf09fxdb

Ok, I don't like the catalytic converter in the new Harleys. I would love to change out the whole head pipe or I could cut out the converter. Which way would you guys go? How much power gain/loss have you guys that have cut out the converter experienced? I'm planning on putting some slip-ons and head pipes on later, but I can only afford to do one or the other for now! Can't decide what to do for now. Head pipes or slip-ons?:bigsmiley30:

I cut my cat out at 1k. Added a Vied, V/H vo2 a/c and American Custom slip-ons with mid rumble baffles and could not be happier.Most importantly, the heat is gone!!! Better throttle response, not sure of hp increase, but I'm not looking for a hotrod. Spent $40 on tools to cut material out, $25 to have it rewelded. Alot cheaper than a new headpipe:D And no, I'm not worried about vehicle testing for emissions. We don't have that here in Fl. BTW, 2011 FLHR. Go for it!!!

If you know someone who owns/works @ metal shop they can cut your header, gut CAT & re-weld fairly cheap/easily. I know quite a few 2010+ touring riders who did this & if you search there's postings w/pics showing how to accomplish. If it's the CAT you're wishing to fix...this is your best bet.

Well, here is the cool thing. I own a mig welder and I'm pretty sure I can do it myself. Do I have to wait after a 1000 miles?

I cut mine out and left everything else stock. No more heat, runs better, and exhaust sounds better. Spent about $50 total to do this.:D:D:D

Ok. So I understand that this is the cheapest way to do this. Now if I go with different slip-ons I need to either stay with ones with 1 3/4 baffles to keep from losing low end tq right? The stock ones have different baffles in them also so it scavenges the gasses so when you go with a baffle kit will you lose performance? My favorite set up would be the vance and hines power duals with CFR slip-ons, but I'm afraid that I would lose to much performance. Just trying to get some more ideas and the best bang for my buck.

If you google "removing harley cat.con." there's many good tips, and a few pictorials that may be helpful.

I just removed my cat on my 10 Electra. I just cut a square inspection hole on the inside of the Head pipe and air chiseled the cat out, then had the patch welded back on. No more heat!! I wanted to do it for awhile, I was impressed how easy it was. well worth it.

Tubguy

All well and good 'cept when EPA Inspection and Registration becomes formal where you live. Better to save the take off header pipe, install a 2009 one and put whatever floats your boat. You do not want a fixit ticket, fines or worse. JMHO:wall

Back